Author Topic: Is the age of the Photograph dead?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is the age of the Photograph dead?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, most of my friends cannot seem to grasp that I do not and will not have a "Facebook" account!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Whenever I ask my family for photographs I am told to look at various social media websites of which I am not a member and don't wish to be. When my parents were alive I made a point of having extra prints done for them.
Nowadays they hand round  phones with a tiny smeary screens which don't give you a chance to study them. They say they will email them but never do!!
rayard.
I sympathise with you rayard!

The best thing to do is to get your family to create a calendar for you as a Christmas present that has lots of photos of your family on them... then you can enjoy them all year round and you have a nice record (if you have grandchildren) to keep! I love the one I get given annually and will treasure them for ever more.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 December 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
My son who is 11 months old has already filled 2 albums! All my childhood pics fit in one!!

You are going to have a storage problem.  What happened to the paperless office - did it ever exist?  :D
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 December 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
The way the technology is developing with facial recognition algorithms, I wonder how long it will be before all photos are automatically named as you take them. You might even be able to search the internet for other photos of the same person just from the picture, without a name. Probably possible already if you know what you''re doing  :-\
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 December 17 11:09 GMT (UK) »
! [/quote]
You are going to have a storage problem.  What happened to the paperless office - did it ever exist?  :D
[/quote]

I may need an extra bedroom just for photos  ;)
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 December 17 11:38 GMT (UK) »
What happened to the paperless office? Pure fiction! With the inception of the fax machine and the computer worldwide paper consumption actually went up. And for those worried about chopping down trees to make the paper; in the UK at least, paper is only made from trees specifically planted to make paper from. If all paper was to be made from recycled products the trees wouldn't be planted in the first place.

To get back on-topic; I think that, in future times, "paper" photography will be seen as hardly any more than a blip in technology. Rather than getting sentimental about the "loss of a tradition", remember that photography Was only invented in the 1850s and started to die out around 150 years later.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Mike175, that is so true.  I use Google Picasa for organising my photos.  It is very out of date now, but the facial recognition is so very good and I am yet to find anything better.  It can recognise various young nieces and nephews as they grow older and their faces and hair changes, and sort them accordingly, even with hats or (sun)glasses on.   

It is amusing when it tries to identify a face on poster on a wall in the background.  It once highlighted a picture of what looked like a nun, which I was SURE I hadn't taken.  On zooming out I saw that it was a lady in medieval dress at a falconry display I had visited.  Another false one was Keith Richard on a Radio Times cover on the table behind some inner guests.

Martin

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Such technology won't need to look at any of mine. I can't think of any with people on them. If there are, I usually clone them out and the only known 'photos of me are on my passport, my driving license and my bus pass.

One thing people might ask in the future is why some people spent so much time photographing themselves.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the calender suggestion Caroline.

My father used to take black and white photos and develop them in his shed. It was magical to see the faces appear in the developing dishes!!
rayard.