Author Topic: Alex MacKenzie Blacksmith Lochslin  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Exilelass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alex MacKenzie Blacksmith Lochslin
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 November 17 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh, the power of paying attention!!
No, I had not. I was assuming they had the same spelling all their lives. Thank you once again. VERY helpful. I have opened it and it is them.
Thank you

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
All that matters is the end result  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Exilelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 November 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I doubt this is the 'end' result. I'm sure I'll need your talents again  ;)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 November 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Interesting the Peter Fraser Mackenzie thing. Peter Fraser who became the Prime Minister of New Zealand was born in Hill of Fearn, near Lochslin, he left for NZ around 1910, wonder if there is a connection? My own Mackenzies were at Fearn Station.

Don't think the spelling matters & a Glasgow wedding would be sensible, getting time off work was a problem, New Year or Glasgow Fair weddings were not unusual.

Skoosh.

Offline Exilelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 November 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
My Peter was Peter-John Fraser MacKenzie, who was born in 1908. He was my Grannie's brother and became, not PM of NZ, put Provost of Forres.   :)
He was an ironmonger there and, out of respect to him, the name of his shop cannot ever be changed. The name Pat MacKenzie is still to be seen in Forres. There is bound to be a connection somewhere, as we are, after all, 'aw Jock Tamson's bairns'.( Or possibly Alexander MacKenzie's)

Thanks to the help I was given, yesterday, I have found his parents' wedding in Glasgow on New Year's Eve 1890. Both were living in Glasgow then. But I do not know how to proceed, in a backward, direction. If the Marriage Certificate had the address of the parents it would be SO much more helpful. My husband is researching family friends who were Italian and every 'hit' is them. I have Mac/Mc Kenzies and MacRae's all over the place, all called Alexander, Hugh and Mary. It's a nightmare sorting 'mine' from 'everyone else's'!  :-\

Has anyone any suggestions on how I proceed with the names of the next generation, but not the foggiest idea where they were from and very common names to search for?
I'd be most grateful for any and all advice.

Thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 November 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
A good starting point would be to give us the parents details from that 1890 marriage cert ;D
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Exilelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 November 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Oh sorry, I hadn't thought of you doing the work for me.  :)

Donald McKenzie (ploughman) and Ann McKenzie (ne้ Robertson) both deceased. (parents of the groom, Alexander)
Hugh Fraser (farmer)deceased and Catherine McLennan, (previously Fraser, ne้ Fraser.) (parents of the bride, Mary)

On the other side I want to get back farther than my Great grandmother.
On her marriage certificate (1894)the parents info is:-
Donald MacRae (crofter) and Ann McIntosh, parents of the groom (Alexander MacRae, labour residing at Craggie Mill, Daviot)
Hugh MacKenzie (miller) and Margaret Ross, parents of the bride (Rebecca, daughter of the miller at Craggie Mill)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 November 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
On her marriage certificate (1894)the parents info is:-
Donald MacRae (crofter) and Ann McIntosh, parents of the groom (Alexander MacRae, labour residing at Craggie Mill, Daviot)
Hugh MacKenzie (miller) and Margaret Ross, parents of the bride (Rebecca, daughter of the miller at Craggie Mill)

You need to include where and when Rebecca was born and the same for Alexander MacRae

You also need to check for both parents marriages on SP

Is this the right 1871 entry?

Croy & Dalcross Inverness - Address   Castletowie Of Daltulich

Hugh Mackenzie   44 miller b Aird
Margaret    31 b Auchteran
Rebecca    13 b Aird
Donald 12 b Inverness
Hugh  8          ditto
Serrah   6 (?? Sarah) ditto
John  4 b Daviot
David   1  ditto

Croy and Dalcross ED 4 Page 8 Line 22

Offline Exilelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 December 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
The census of 1891 tells me that Rebecca was born in Killtarlity and the census of 1911 says  Alexander was born in Glenurquhart.

You entry is interesting as mine, for 1891, has Hugh, Margaret, Hugh, Rebecca, Sarah and a grandson Hugh.
Rebecca is 33, which would fit with what you have and Sarah is 26, so that seems right too and Hugh (jr) is 28.
I think you have found more relatives I never know anything about!! You are good at this, :)

Yet again I cannot find what you have found. Can you tell me what to do so I can find this?
I have a 2 Hugh Mackenzies, Croy, in the 1871 census, both with the same ref number, but they are 37 . If he is telling the truth about his age in 1891, then he should have been born in 1820. If you have the right chap he was born in 1827 and if this fellow I found is correct, being 37 in 1871 means he was born in 1834.  :-\