Author Topic: Berkshire Brick Wall  (Read 2034 times)

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berkshire Brick Wall
« on: Wednesday 29 November 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
We are having difficulties finding the parents of a William Ilsley b. 1545 in Berkshire married Joanne Piper c. 1570 in Compton, Berkshire.   We cannot get information on Williams parents, grandparents etc and have been advised that probate court records might yield Will's with the information we need on.   So; we are looking for Wills for the name Ilsley/Illsley/Hildesley/Yildesley etc surname for Beenham, Brimpton (Brympton), Ilsley (East and West), Compton etc Berkshire.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Brick Wall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »

The Compton Registers do not comence until 1553,the marriage was 22nd November 1570.

The Berkshire Archdeanery Probate Index 1480-1652 list 3 possibles

1)ILLESLYE William Beenham,gent,Admin,Inv,Acct,1593,
199/046

2)ILESLEY William Beenham Admin,1593
12/193

3)ILSLEY William,West Compton,W.Inv. 1610
86/113;15/034

I am not sure if 1& 2 are the same William

W=Will / Admin=Administration Document / Acc=Account / Inv=Inventory

Kim

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In haste:  We've got a post mortem for a William of Beenham estate dated 1590 I think that is the first 2 as you put it and not the one we are looking for.   The third one, however is promising.   Do they list the father and or mother?  I think we know the children (Richard in particular).  How does one access it?

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
The only information is as I have listed - it is an Index .

The documents are held at the Berkshire Record Office who will provide a copy ( for a fee) you will need to quote the entry details as shown above or they will add a search fee too !

You can contact them by e-mail re charges as it will depend on the number of pages etc

I do not think it will be on-line but someone else may know for sure?

Kim

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 December 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
There is an East Ilsley will in 1622 for a William Hildesley, gentleman. 
Probably not the one you are after as you mention a son named Richard, and the sons named in this will are William and Francis.  But let me know if you think there may be a connection.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 December 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
You are getting warmer,

My fathers line are Illsley/Ilsley of compton starting William and Joanne married 1570 Compton, Berkshire as follows:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/126688108#
https://goo.gl/Avvh6R

We are trying to connect them to the Hildesley family of Beenham,Brimpton and Crowmarsh Gifford and as you can see from the second url some of their children (Richard and Joanne) were baptised in Beenham (there seem to be very confusion multiple records for the Illsley/Ilsley/Yildesley/Hildesley/Ildesley family(ies):  We are not quite sure if they were different families of people living in this area of Berkshire or if they were related or a mix of the two.)
Visitations of Berkshire has three brothers born to a William.  It is outlined on this website quite nicely http://www.berkshirehistory.com/gentry/ilsley.html.

The first son Edward of Crowmarsh Gifford, Second John of Beenham (who had sons called William and Francis who you have found; thank you) and George of Brimpton (who had daughters but two sons both called John).  The visitations dates seem a bit muddled.   Ancestry tree copying gave us a George as the ancestor of William (who married Joanne Piper) via at least one John but it puts Georges birth date at 1450 which would mean he would have been 116 yo for the 1566 visitations where he was recorded.   I've been to the BRO to have a look at the Burghfield, Beenham, Brimpton etc parish records (not wills) and have found very little that would help.   I've also contacted the museum of the Order of St John in London because there was a Knights Hospitaller estate and chapel in Brimpton and Greenham but many records were lost in the dissolution of the monastery's.
https://archive.org/stream/fourvisitationso5657ryla#page/n61/mode/2up/search/hildesley
This is the visitations entry for George. on the previous page it outlines William a bit more clearly and there are also Hidesleys of Beenham, Ilsley, Wokingham etc.   They were all recusant roman catholics although Georges brother John was a Yoeman of Henry VIII longbowmen.

We match atDNA with the name Moore who married to Hildesleys but they were all female and records tail off before the dates we need.   Also, William and Joanne m.1570 had a daughter Joan who married a Lyford of Peasemore and Stanford Dingle who were another recusant roman catholic family in the area.....Nothing concrete.

I've also had a post mortem from the National archive tranlated by rootschat for William of Beenham date 1590.   See here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783385.0

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 December 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
The William with the 1622 will is the son of another William who died in 1576 and whose memorial brass is mentioned in the RBH link http://www.berkshirehistory.com/gentry/ilsley.html

William jr had a brother Walter who died in 1598 and also left a will made in 1595.

East Ilsley wills have been transcribed and are available on a CD if that might be of interest to you.  There are a couple of Piper wills too, and various mentions of Hildesleys and Pipers.

"In the Name of God, Amen" - transcripts of 190 East Ilsley wills 1504 - 1877
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There seems to be a date discrepancy between our Post Mortem on Vellum for William of Beenham who left his house to his son William and the records held by East Ilsley etc?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783385.0

I've now ordered the CD from Sigma books as an early Christmas present.   Eric Saxton is married to a member of our GEDCOM on a shoot off the Ilsley line.   Last time I had any contact with Eric he was of the mind that the Ilsley families of East Ilsley were just labourers(brick layers) and farm workers and not related to the Hildesley family of Ilsley, Berks.  Subsequently, we have found that our line may be from George of Brimpton rather than John of Ilsley (who preferred to live in Beenham).   I've now email Eric in case he can throw some light on the Brimpton Hildesley's as a possible progenitor of our line.   If he can that would be good for all our american cousins because all the american Ilsley, Insley etc line come from John and William who were grandchildren of William and Joanne Piper of Compton.  John and William settled in Massachusetts Newbury and Salisbury.  They sailed out from Southampton on the Confidence c.1630.
 :)