Author Topic: Where were the 3rd Royal Highlanders in 1891?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Where were the 3rd Royal Highlanders in 1891?
« on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking in the 1891 census for the family of William Frederick Middleton, aged about 38, born Campsie, Stirlingshire, wife Caroline Alice, about 28, and children John Henry, 5; Helen Leslie, 4 and Esme Gertrude, 2. I have failed to find them in Scotland, England or Wales.

I have them all in the 1901 and 1911 censuses.

Esme's birth certificate describes William as a Captain in the 3rd Royal Highlanders, and her death certificate describes him as a Major in the Third Battalion, the Black Watch. I infer that the Third Battalion, the Black Watch, is the same as the 3rd Royal Highlanders, but if I am mistaken in that please correct me.

I assume that he must have been on a posting somewhere outside Great Britain?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where were the 3rd Royal Highlanders in 1891?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
the 3rd Battalion (Black Watch is correct) was the militia battalion so, as a battalion, was not stationed overseas.  They were known as the Perthshire or Royal Perth Militia.  They did their annual two (?) weeks training in Perth in July/August 1889 but otherwise would have been wherever their civilian occupations took them.

Not impossible for him to have served a period with one of other of the 2 regular battalions but without his record that can only be guesswork.  No sign of it on line.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Where were the 3rd Royal Highlanders in 1891?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 November 17 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am afraid that the organisation of the Army is as yet a closed book to me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.