Author Topic: "Dutch Alley", Nottingham, Robin Hood Terrace, And Sophia Starr.  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Dutch Alley", Nottingham, Robin Hood Terrace, And Sophia Starr.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 December 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Strangely on the certificate, for "Fathers Name and Surname" were written the words: "Sarah Starr" the occupation for this "parent" was put down as: "Chevenier" (whatever that was/is).

I started googling variations and translations of this French-looking word, then had a go at anglicising it and found this:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chevener

For the record, and for anyone who doesn't like clicking links: it's an obsolete noun for an embroiderer of hosiery.

Inspiration: all those Notts-based FWKs (framework knitters) - and their wives/daughters - in my own tree.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 December 17 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Strangely on the certificate, for "Fathers Name and Surname" were written the words: "Sarah Starr" the occupation for this "parent" was put down as: "Chevenier" (whatever that was/is).

I started googling variations and translations of this French-looking word, then had a go at anglicising it and found this:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chevener

For the record, and for anyone who doesn't like clicking links: it's an obsolete noun for an embroiderer of hosiery.

Inspiration: all those Notts-based FWKs (framework knitters) - and their wives/daughters - in my own tree.
Wow!
Thank you very much indeed! And that would make sense, because Henry Ringrose, the person that she married was a Framework Knitter. He was baptised Henry Pride Ringrose, in 1837, in Hoveringham. I think in one of the census returns, Sophia was a: "Silk Throwster."

Cheers.  :) :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 December 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I came across this topic also on Rootschat, about Chevener:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=615762.0

I was going to post part of an image of the marriage certificate, but encountered a problem:
When I click on : "Attachments and other options", all that comes up for me are the three tick boxes. I don't get the extra box below this which lets you browse and attach images from your computer.
But strangely, when I do this on the "practice page for inserting images" here on Rootschat, it comes up straight away, and I could post an image there. I posted an image of Henry Pride Ringrose (1837 - 1917) on that page. He was the Husband of Sophia.  :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 December 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
From the Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette - Wednesday 27 February 1901
  "A chevener is a finisher. The word is used in Nottingham to designate the women who ornament the stockings with silk clocks and other kinds of embroidery.Chevening, or embroidering, is essentially a cottage industry, and the very finest knitting is also done by workpeople at their own homes on hand frames.............The Queen's chevener, or stocking embroiderer, is Miss Ann Birkin, who lives in a neat cottage in the little village of Ruddington, where she is a notable personage on account of her occupation......At the present time Miss Birkin, who is eighty-four years of age, has been in the employment of Messrs Morley for seventy-two years."
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 December 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
From the Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette - Wednesday 27 February 1901
  "A chevener is a finisher. The word is used in Nottingham to designate the women who ornament the stockings with silk clocks and other kinds of embroidery.Chevening, or embroidering, is essentially a cottage industry, and the very finest knitting is also done by workpeople at their own homes on hand frames.............The Queen's chevener, or stocking embroiderer, is Miss Ann Birkin, who lives in a neat cottage in the little village of Ruddington, where she is a notable personage on account of her occupation......At the present time Miss Birkin, who is eighty-four years of age, has been in the employment of Messrs Morley for seventy-two years."
Stan
Thank you very much for this. Cheers.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Does anyone please know whereabouts Rumford Street was in Nottingham?

That was where Henry Ringrose was put down as living at when he married Sophia in 1860.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Where were they living in 1861, so we can look on an old map for perhaps same area?

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Where were they living in 1861, so we can look on an old map for perhaps same area?

Hello there,

They were living at 209, William Street, Radford, in the 1861 census.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Rumford Street was in the St Ann's area of Nottingham but I'm not sure whereabouts. I don't think it is on modern maps anyway.

Thankyou.  :) ;)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I found a William Knowles of Rumford Street in a newspaper article - you can find him on the 1891 census there, aged 16,  It is St Mary's, Nottingham North East District 23, but once you are on the correct census page you can look for the surrounding roads etc.
You can also look at the roads on the first page.