Author Topic: Hayters of Windlesham  (Read 1311 times)

Offline amanta41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hayters of Windlesham
« on: Thursday 30 November 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I am pretty new to geneology, and I am looking at both sides of my family tree, Robinsons of Bristol and Hayters. I have traced the Hayters back to the Hayters of Windlesham with Charles Hayter 1728-1807 so far.. I dont live all that far from Windlesham, so will try to find the graves of my ancesters buried at St. John the baptist's soon.
Does anyone have any of their own research on the Hayters that they would be willing to share, or have any other tips for me to develop my research?

Thanks

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Hayters of Windlesham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
The Windlesham Parish Registers - "The first book of the registers contains baptisms from 1677 to 1689; a second, all entries from 1695 to 1747; a third, baptisms and burials from 1749 to 1783, and marriages from 1749 to 1753; a fourth, baptisms from 1783 to 1810; a fifth, burials from 1793, and baptisms from 1810 to 1812. There are also two printed marriages and banns books from 1754 to 1802, and from 1802 to 1812.

When the old church of Windlesham was struck by lightning and burnt in 1676, the registers were burnt, and now date only from that time..... "

If you can find a copy of "
A History of Bagshot and Windlesham Hardcover – 1 Jan 1977
by M.De G. Eedle "

you may get further insights into your Ancestors ....

- try Amazon ...

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not my family but his Will of 1807 is a PCC Will on Ancestry or pay to view at the National archives.
He is of Bagshot,a gentlemen.
Sons Charles,John and Samuel,personal pocessions equally.
Grandson Charles his Bible.
Furniture and linen to Sarah Lambert if she is living with me at the time of my death.
Sons Charles and Samuel to get residue of his estate.

He appears as a witness on the Wills of John Smith of Bagshott 1764,George Gilens 1770 and Sarah Finch 1792.

On the land tax for the area he is a owner occupier 1781-1798 (those on Ancestry start in 1780)
He's also a jury man on their records.

15 Dec 1759 Charles Nichols  Hayter of W blacksmith takes apprentice Richard Hayter (also on Ancestry)
So he started life as a blacksmith.
Presumably he would also have had to be apprenticed.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Tonykelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
amanta41

Hi !

The monumental inscriptions for Windlesham were collected by Cliff Webb in 1977 for the West Surrey Family History Society.   

If you are new to family history a "monumental inscription" is the inscription on a gravestone or a plaque in a church.  My apologies if you  knew that.

Ther are four mentions of Windlesham Hayters in the Surrey Monumental Inscriptions Index plus a scattering around the County.

If you contact me off list: monumental AT wsfhs.org I will send the Windlesham inscriptions to you.

West Surrey FHS also has indexes to burials and baptism in Windlesham.  See our Parish Information page for details
http://www.surreychurches.org.uk/surreyheath/windleshamsjb.shtml

The Churches of Surrey Index is work in progress as we try to identify all the churches, graveyards and cemeteries which have existed in the county since New Year's Day 1688.

Tony Kelly
Monumental Inscriptions
West Surrey FHS

http://wsfhs.org

Finding our roots....
....Celebrating our heritage

Find us on Facebook : facebook.com/MISurrey

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Can I warn you that there are several spellings of the surname.Charles is buried as Hater on the original records and there is also Haiter.

I can see a Charles Heater s of Charles and Jane baptised 11.7.1729 at London Bread St St Margaret Moses.
Siblings William 18 Dec 1730,Jane 6.7.1735 Castle Baynard St Benet and Jane 13 May 1737.

You could also follow up that apprentice Richard Hayter. Surely they are related.If he was apprenticed 1759 and was about 15 he was born c 1744.

Ciderdrinker

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
15 Dec 1759 Charles Nichols  Hayter of W blacksmith takes apprentice Richard Hayter (also on Ancestry)
So he started life as a blacksmith.
Thanks for that ciderdrinker - this Hayter line is mine & I have been in contact with amanta41. I did look for the above record on ancestry but cannot find the reference to the middle name Nichols? Is there another entry somewhere, please?

ADDED: I do not know when or if the Wiltshire/Dorset Hayters were ever connected to the Windlesham Hayters. Some of this line moved freely between Windlesham & London. John 1758's son Richard was born in Westminster 1780; son Charles Hayter 1787 born Windlesham also a blacksmith [my 3 x g grandfather & grandson of Charles 1728] married & stayed in Marylebone.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes there's another entry for the apprenticeships on FindMyPast.
That's where I got it.

Ciderdrinker

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Great thanks - that middle name could be revealing.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Back again!! I have looked at the original microfilm online at National Archive website [free to download and browse IR - 1/22] & again it is plain Charles Hayter - no Nichols in the record  :-\

Anyway, question is - if Charles Hayter b 1726 is the master in the 1759 apprenticeship record of Richard Hayter, then when was Charles himself likely to have been apprenticed? NA have the IR-1 records online from 1730 onwards so wondering when I should look, approximately 1 downloadable record per year. I have no idea at what age different apprenticeships were likely to have been started. Was it a different age for each apprenticeship? I have seen reference to an age of 12 - 13 but did boys have to be older & stronger for some jobs eg blacksmith?