Author Topic: Death at Charlemont in 1847?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death at Charlemont in 1847?
« on: Thursday 30 November 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I have a reference to the death of a Hugh McGrogan which states "1847, died 19/6, Charlemont". This ref. appears in the Royal Hospital Chelsea Regimental Register of Pensioners - Militia where his residence is given as Ballysc*n.
Are there any Irish records which would corroborate place and date of death please?
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Charlemont in 1847?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 November 17 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Statutory death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 so you won’t get a death certificate for Hugh.

You haven’t said what denomination Hugh was but I’ll assume RC as most McGrogans in the later censuses appear to have been that. Few RC parishes kept burial records, and as far as I am aware Loughgall (which encompasses Charlemont) doesn’t. So unless there’s a gravestone or a mention in a local paper, there may be no record of this death other than the information you already have.

I looked in the townlands index for a townland in that area of the name “Ballysc*n” but did not find one. However McGrogan is not a common name in that county. (There are none there in the 1901 census).  There is a parish of Ballyscullion which is mostly in in Co Londonderry with a small part in Co Antrim. That’s near Toomebridge. Perhaps he originated there? The 1901 census has 29 McGrogans in Creagh townland in Co Londonderry, including 2 named Hugh. (Families liked to repeat names). Creagh is in the RC parish of Ardtrea, which is next Ballyscullion. I’d be inclined to search in that general area for his origins.
Elwyn

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Charlemont in 1847?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 17 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,
Thank you for your help.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn