Author Topic: Pomeroy and the Moon connection  (Read 3751 times)

Offline johnstonsimon

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm originally from Manchester England.
    • View Profile
Pomeroy and the Moon connection
« on: Friday 01 December 17 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Some may know that Co.Tyrone has a 'son' that went to the Moon. Col. James Benson Irwin was an Apollo 15 astronaut and can trace his roots back to Pomeroy (Altmore).

https://www.ancestryireland.com/about-us/50-years-of-the-ulster-historical-foundation/from-pomeroy-to-the-moon/

I found that via marriage I am very very loosely connected to the same family ancestors and I'm trying without much success to find all the Irwin family members from early 1800s.

I know his great grandfather was Thomas Irwin born some time around 1807. He died Aug 28th 1892 with the stated age of 85. His daughter-in-law Ellen Irwin (married to Alexander 1875) was present at his death. It was also stated at the time of death he was a widower so indicating his wife (Sarah nee. Pherson) had previously died. Her death can be found Mar 3rd 1890 (aged 76). This time her son Alexander is present at death.

What's been suggested is that Sarah was the second wife of Thomas Irwin but while I can find no evidence myself of this I suspect it's likely but who the first is remains a mystery.

On the Griffith Evaluation for Altmore one Thomas Irwin can be found sharing a property with a Robert McKittrick. It so happens that Thomas' daughter Mary Ann Irwin marries a widower named Robert McKittrick in 1857. Mary Ann remarries Henry Young (a farmer) in 1870 suggesting that Robert McKittrick had previously died. In fact there's a death record for a Robert McKittrick aged 80 years old in Dungannon in 1869. This would make him much older than Mary Ann if it's the same one. Only record I can find for a Mary Young death (widow of a farmer) is in 1917 aged 86.

Next born is likely Sarah Irwin. She goes on to marry William Johnston (my connection is here) in 1858. Their children seem to settle in Australia with their son Robert Johnston being quite the character and gold prospector. There's photo of him complete with revolver on the hip, cowboy hat and boots and travelling by camel in the Australian outback.  :)

Alexander Irwin seems to be the first born son around 1839.

In 1844 John Irwin arrives and it's from him that that we get our astronaut. John marries Mary Jane Benson Apr 16th 1879 (a minor). They later move to the USA and Mary's death certificate records her birth as Jan 1st 1865 making her only 14 when married. However I can't find any birth for Mary that fits this date.

Here's where we seem to have a few years gap and then three more children, Matilda, Rebecca and Thomas. They are baptized 1852, 1856 & 1859 respectively. I've not yet done two much research on these so far.

What I'm particularly interested in is finding the marriages for Thomas Irwin and the death of his first wife if if it indeed turns out that he was married twice. I'd also like to find the birth or baptism records for the all other children.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  ;D
From Belfast
Johnston
Hayes
Reavey/Reavy
Cassidy
Hunter
McClenney

From England
Cowlishaws
Young
Heap

Worldwide
Dabell/Middap

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pomeroy and the Moon connection
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Statutory birth registration started in Ireland in 1864. Births from 1864 onwards can be found on the irishgenealogy site, free. Marriage registration started in 1845 for non RC marriages and 1864 for RC. Marriages from 1870 onwards can be found free on the irishgenealogy site. For those between 1845 and 1869, you can pay to view them on the GRONI site.

For births and marriages prior to those years you need to rely on church baptism records. You haven’t said what religious denomination the family was. Looking at the 1901 census for Altmore, there’s 1 Irwin family and they were Presbyterian.

Pomeroy Presbyterian church only has baptism records from 1841 and marriages from 1845 onwards. (Copy in PRONI in Belfast). If by any chance the family were Church of Ireland, they have no records prior to 1876 (early records lost in the 1922 fire). RC records start in 1837 (with some gaps).

So if you are looking for births or marriages in Pomeroy prior to those dates, it appears that no records exist.
Elwyn

Offline johnstonsimon

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm originally from Manchester England.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 December 17 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the civil records and have be ploughing through the National Library of Ireland records here;

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0233

Some of the records are too faint to see so maybe the information is lost. I didn't consider parish records held at PRONI so I'll try there.

I appreciate the tip. :)
From Belfast
Johnston
Hayes
Reavey/Reavy
Cassidy
Hunter
McClenney

From England
Cowlishaws
Young
Heap

Worldwide
Dabell/Middap

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 December 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
The National Library records in that site are all RC records. Is that the right denomination? Note that the PRONI records are not on-line. A personal visit is required to view them.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Some of the records are too faint to see so maybe the information is lost. I didn't consider parish records held at PRONI so I'll try there.

Just to clarify something here- parish records are either Catholic or Church of Ireland. Presbyterian churches are grouped into Presbyteries but each church would be responsible for their own records- and there are many different types of Presbyterian churches- Reformed, Secession, etc.- and people didn't always attended the nearest church which can sometimes make it more difficult to find records for a person or family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jacquesjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Rebecca b 1855 married William Ferson in 1877 They went to USA where they had several children.

Do you know if first Thomas had siblings?

Thanks

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the local newspaper they might but a article in the paper for you?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
he was the third cousin of Cherith Andrews (nee McFarland) Socalite and advertising manager of The Daily Mirror Northern Ireland

http://www.fampeople.com/cat-james-irwin

Offline jacquesjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Regarding information on the link - actually Jim Irwin's grandparents John Irwin and Mary Benson were married in Altmore, County Tyrone, Ireland in 1879 and went to US about 1893 - not 1859 as the fampeople.com link indicates.