Author Topic: Sarah LEWIS b 1806? Liverpool  (Read 1325 times)

Offline sue 123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah LEWIS b 1806? Liverpool
« on: Friday 01 December 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for information on my 3rd great grandmother Sarah Lewis.
She married Philip Shepherd on 30/3/1834 at St Nicks Church Liverpool and they had a few children, William, John, Philip, James & Dorothy.

I thought that her parents were Edward Lewis and Mary Dyson just from a search on another website as I found a baptism record for 1807. However due to the names of her children I wonder if it is William Lewis and Catherine Hughes who had a daughter in 1805? In fact there is one other Sarah Lewis born to John Lewis and Nancy Kindick born in 1808 in Liverpool?

Any suggestions as to how I can find out by online checks or will it help if I ordered all 3 birth certs from Liverpool?

Thanks 

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah LEWIS b 1806? Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Sue --just a quick reply. Civil Registration only began in England and Wales on 1 July 1837. Hence no birth, marriage or death certificates are available prior to that date.

We are dependant on Parish Registers for events occurring prior to 1 July 1837.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the record images for these three baptisms? The images are likely available to view free on Family Search, you can't access them through the search, only transcripts can be accessed by search. We can probably provide links to these baptism images on Family Search if you want them. Unfortunately that far back there is less information in records. One way to establish relationships is to look at any wills for these families.

Full transcripts are available for many Liverpool churches on Lancs OPC:

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Liverpool-Central/index.html

Blue

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at children baptised in Liverpool with parents, Philip and Sarah Shepherd -- this couple MAY have had a daughter, Ann, baptised 10 Feb 1835 at St Peters Church (if it's the same Philip and Sarah Shepherd.)

If it is the correct couple it means the first born daughter would have been named Ann.
Might be worth checking if a baby died named Ann Shepherd. (They also seem to have had a James, who was baptised privately so not expected to survive).

Also have you found Philip's baptism and his parents' names? That could possibly identify which of Philip and Sarah's children MAY have been named after HIS parents.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
An 8 month old Ann Shepherd, child of Philip and Sarah was buried in Low Hill Cemetery, Everton on 14 Sept 1835.

You may therefore wish to explore the John and Nancy as being possible parents of Sarah, Nancy sometimes being a nickname for Ann.

Check out other children born to that couple also = potential siblings of Sarah, just to see if any more clues are revealed.
Places of interest;

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Who were the witnesses at the wedding? I can only view a transcription and witnesses are not listed

Hopefully a family member was a witness and that can help decide who her parents are.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
The death of Sarah is recorded 1874 age 68 giving her a birth year of 1806, or 1805 depending when her birthday was.
New GRO index J quarter Vol 08B page 202, West Derby and Toxteth Park registration.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Amondg --- unfortunately the filmed copies of St Nicholas which I have access to have a gap covering 1834, when Philip and Sarah married (typical)!)

I see that Philip gives a birth place of Ulverston on the 1851 census. Can't find a baptism in Ulverston itself - but there is one at Dalton in Furness in 1810 abode 'Billing Coat'.

There is a 'Billincoat Charity' in Dalton -- and if the Philip baptised in 1810 at Dalton is the correct one -- then unfortunately HIS parents were JOHN and ANN!

Also he had a sister DOROTHY! (So I rather suspect he's the correct Philip -- but it puts a questionmark over Sarah's parents being John and Nancy. It's always possible though -- AND it would have been very handy - Philip and Sarah would definitely have had the names of a son and daughter sorted if BOTH their parents had the same 2 names!!
Places of interest;

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
1841 census William Street Liverpool recorded as SHEPPARD

Phillip Sheppard 30 labourer
Sarah 30
John 2
William 4

Son John would have been born circa 1839 and baptized with his younger brother Phillip on the same day 5 September 1842.