Author Topic: Custodian 4 Software  (Read 2429 times)

Offline LadyJayne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Custodian 4 Software
« on: Friday 01 December 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Anyone using the above? I've downloaded the trial version and having a problem with the dates in the general view, it's showing 0001 on a couple of entries but seems ok in the Marriage Certificate view.

At the moment I'm using Microsoft Access which is great but as money is tight I'm now looking at different options on how to display and record a large number of parish marriages 1838+ The Open office Libre seems very good for spreadsheets and word documents but won't  open  Access files although I can export into a spreadsheet it's not ideal. Any thoughts? :-\
Bennett - Shepshed, Leics.
Coulman- Surrey/London/Lincs.
Pullan- Sunderland/Durham
Danks- Surrey/Middx/Kidderminster/Dudley

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Custodian 4 Software
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Libre Office should be able to open Access files (or at least get you into them).

If you click on Base Database the resulting menu has some options including "Connect to an existing database"  - click that option and the drop down menu becomes active and amongst the selections available are Microsoft Access and Microsoft Access 2007.

Offline LadyJayne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn, Yes I've done that and clicked on the drop down menu and selected Microsoft Access but I'm getting an error message

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I have custodian 4 but find it a little dated and not as flexible as I would like.  The have tried exporting to excel to share but the data doesn’t transfer as cleanly as I would like. 
I haven’t tried importing data as I don’t feel it is safe.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline LadyJayne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi jc26red, I'm still experimenting with Custodian 4 and so far so good,  I don't think I've had any probems exporting out from the program but I'm not too sure about the way it handles dates.

I'm going through the tutorials at the moment and will see how I get on. I did have a problem with some dates not showing as they should but after emailing support the problem was quickly solved so I'm quite happy about that :)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Glad it’s working for you.

I’m using it for a one name study, hoping eventually I will find an elusive ancestor. I am also part of a ydna group for the name, so the data comes in handy pinpointing the areas where the name appears.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.