Author Topic: Thames/Auckland area DAVID /MAKARETA -REHIAI aka REHARI  (Read 6832 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thames David Rehiai
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 December 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l4l/

Debra  :)

The articles mentioning 'Wiremu Rehari' may be relevant.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 December 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l4l/

The articles mentioning 'Wiremu Rehari' may be relevant.

Well done, Debra ... excellent finds.   :)   

"Wiremu" is the Maori name for "William" ... so yes, the REHARI referred to by both names is probably the same man.

~  Lu

Topics merged

Offline barbiebergie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Wow Debra.
That is fantastic work.
Thanks you so much.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara ... and welcome.  :)

I was in the middle of posting here when your two threads were merged ... so having "cancelled" that, I'll now add an updated version of what I was going to say ;D.

As is mentioned in the articles concerning the death of Lavinia's husband, he was described as a "native" (in other words, he was of the Maori race.)

And the > "REHIAI" > name you've given here (not your fault of course because that's how it appears written in a number of NZ records  ;)) ... should apparently be REHARI.
However, what needs to be considered in identifying the REHARI family / whanau, (whanau is the Maori name for "family"), is that William or Wiremu (abbrev. "Wi") was also was known by the surname "TAITUA" (or "TAITA",  in one article).

But moving on to your original query >

*  Can you explain how it is that you have information about the son named "David (Rehiai)", please  ?

[Note:   Didn't Lavinia go on to marry George FAIRBURN the year after her first husband's death ?
Thought maybe this David took on the FAIRBURN name ??  -  but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I do have some other thoughts about David, but will await your reply. ]

~  Lu

Offline barbiebergie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lucy
The articles are eye opening.
Re David. I think I got that wrong. I think David was Williams’ father who was married to a Makareta. I don’t know that to be true but found it in someone’s family tree and have not manged to verify it yet. That same person seemed to think that David Rehiai (sic) was from Kaeo. Sorry for the bumsteer and thanks for the great lateral work!!!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thanks for the clarification.

So, do you need further help with this search  ??   

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thames/Auckland area DAVID /MAKARETA -REHIAI aka REHARI
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 December 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I got your message but I think it's to your benefit that all information is in one place (i.e. this thread) so that all who are able, may contribute.   ;)

But now I see that you have changed the "Subject" heading here  ("David/Makareta - Rehiai aka Rehari" )   ???
-------------

For what it's worth, I only really found one "tree" online, relating to REHIAI, (and I don't want to be critical about that persons efforts ) but the fact that there was no reference to "REHARI" ... and that Margaretta was said to have been born at Thames in 1914 and died in 2006 , set off some alarm bells.  ::)    Her parents names were shown a "James" (not David) and "Makareta".   ???

Have you been in contact with the "owner of the tree" where you found your information ??

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »

.... Margaretta.
Does anyone have any info. She had a brother called David and they both died tragically young.

Hi again Barbara

I now think that Margaretta's "brother" you speak of, is the following boy.

http://www.hamilton.govt.nz/our-services/do-it-online/cemetery-search/Pages/default.aspx?surname=Fairburn&forename=george+edward

George Edward FAIRBURN - born 1906 - was the son of Margaretta's mother (Lavinia) by her second husband,  George Edward FAIRBURN (senior).
So, he was effectively, Margaretta's step-brother (half-brother if you like) ... and there was an age gap of some 12 years.
[Note:  Had meant to point out earlier when you suggested that Margaretta was 30 and the brother David was 24 ("she was 30 and he was only 24") -  that as her father had died in 1895, she would not have had a full brother who was younger. ]

I wasn't able to find a death or funeral notice for George Edward junior or whether the cause of his death was by accident.    [Note:  Both his parents were deceased by 1922 -- Lavinia (1910) and Geo. Edward FAIRBURN senior in 1916. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 December 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Barbara ... also have some info to share with you about the wider family.   Will do this shortly as some aspects need further checking.

~  Lu