Author Topic: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T  (Read 4817 times)

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 January 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie1965,

I presume that you are referring to Whitton Township, Quebec? If so, I wondered if the following might be relevant:

6   Rev WILLIAM MACRAE MA was born in Killearnan parish, Black Isle, Ross shire in December 1774 (though some references say 1776) and died at his Barvas manse, Isle of Lewis on 9 July 1856.  While Chaplain to H.M. Forces at Fort George, Fort Augus¬tus on 29 March 1809 he married Mary Macdonald.  She was born in Knockbain parish, Black Isle c.1791 and died in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis on 21 January 1869.  Mary was the daughter of Donald Macdonald, a soldier of Lewis, and Elizabeth Mackay, a na¬tive of Roskeen.  William was educated at Kings College, Aberdeen and was for some time an army chaplain at Fort Augustus, then in 1808 he became minister of his native parish of Killearnan.  On 12 May 1813 he was admitted to the charge of the parish of Bar¬vas, Isle of Lewis where he lived and laboured, honoured and loved by all who knew him.  He was much interested in education and encouraged the establishment of Gaelic speaking schools in the parish.  He was spoken of as "a very talented man" and "possessing in addition great charm and manner".  At the Church disruption in 1843, William elected to remain in the Es¬tablished Church but his family all became Free Church people.  They had issue:
6.1   MARGARET MACRAE was born at Fort Augustus on 15 November 1811 and died in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis on 27 April 1877.  At Barvas, Isle of Lewis on 26 June 1838 she married Evander MacIver, a shipowner's accountant, later described as a merchant, who was the son of Colin MacIver, a tacksman of Coll, and Annabella MacIver.  Evander was born at Garrabost, Isle of Lewis on 15 December 1805 and died in Montreal, Canada in, or prior to, 1861.  After her husband's death, Margaret came back to Stornoway with her family; at the time of the 1861 Census she and two of her children, Mary and John, were staying with her widowed mother Mary at 1 Scotland Street, Stornoway: latterly Mar¬garet lived in Cromwell Street.  They had issue:
6.1.1   Mary MacIver was born in Montreal, Canada c.1845 and came to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis with her widowed mother.  Though it is said that she died unmarried in Canada, this is unlikely, since she was living in South Beach Street, Stornoway in 1881.
6.1.2   John Kenneth MacIver was born in Montreal, Canada c.1851 and came to Stornoway, Isle of Lewis with his widowed mother.  In 1861 he was living in Scotland Street, Stornoway in the home of his maternal grandmother, with his mother and sister Mary.  John became an indigo planter at Tirhoot, India but later went to America.  He married Mary MacKenzie MacPherson who was the daughter of John Macpherson and Janet MacIver.  She was born at Gairloch, Ross shire on 14 January 1823.  (In India there is a reference to a John Kenneth MacIver marrying Ann Annabella Mac¬Pherson who was the sister of the above named Mary; this Ann was baptised at Gairloch c.1838.  Also, upon the death of Charles Evander MacKenzie [ 6.4.10 ] in 1925 the informant was a John Maciver of 18 Branahui, Stornoway; it is just possible that this is another reference to John Kenneth).  John and Mary had issue:
6.1.2.1   Evander John MacIver was born at Mozufferpore, India on 29 November 1871.
6.1.2.2   Jessie MacIver was born at Mozufferpore, India on 12 March 1874, and married her third cousin, George Sinclair Smith [ 1.7.8.4 ].  He was born at Barvas, Isle of Lewis on 28 April 1870 and was the son of Andrew Sinclair Smith and Elizabeth Ann Campbell Macrae.  Nothing further is known about them.
6.1.3   Colin MacIver is believed to have been born in Montreal, Canada and to have come to Stornoway with his widowed mother.  In 1869 he was present in Stornoway upon the death of his grand mother Mary MacRae [ 6 ].  Some references say that he married in America, and others that he died unmarried in Canada.
6.2   ELIZABETH MACRAE was known as "Eliza" and was born at Bar¬vas, Isle of Lewis on 6 March 1816 and died in Inverness on 13 December 1915, aged 99 years.  At Barvas on 3 June 1834 she married John Mackenzie, known as "John Galson", a tacksman of Galson, Isle of Lewis, and later an indigo planter at Teetwar¬pore, Tirhoot, India: he had died by 1875.  John was the son of John Mackenzie of Galson.  They had issue:

Regards

Mike

Offline Maggie1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 January 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike, many thanks for the info.  Yes it is Whitton Township in Quebec.  Sadly the information you supplied is not my Maciver's /McIvers.  There were 10 in the family in all, 3 before they left and seven followed on after settlement.  I have their names and D.O.Bs and will check later census reports.

Many thanks

Offline Daibhidh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 March 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Are you still looking for info on this MacIver family? I see them in Bill Lawson's book. It shows who some of the children married.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Certainly unusual Jack no doubt they're about but I can honestly say that I've never met anybody this side of the border who plays cricket!  ;D
The town I live in (Arbroath) has had a Cricket club since about 1840. Still going today.  ;D
Had you forgotten the success of Freuchie in cricketing circles some years ago? https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/story-underdog-cricket-team-freuchie-14993967

And there was a moderately well-known cricketer who played with the Strathmore Cricket Club in Forfar - Nigel Hazel? https://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/FROMORG2/articles/000009/000979.shtml
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Freuchie, never been there and if they play cricket I never will! ;D
 Quoits used to be a big thing on Scotland, probably involved more folk in the mining districts as ever played cricket in Scotland! Frankie Boyle is spot-on on cricket! In short, anybody entering my local & asking the barmaid to change the TV to cricket could be leaving in a body-bag!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 March 20 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh, Scotland actually beat Australia in a game about 10 or 15 years ago. It was so cold that the brass monkey actually wore 'leg' warmers.
cheers
Jack.
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 March 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Jack, if only we were as good at football!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 March 20 22:58 GMT (UK) »
SKOOS - we are all good at something. You are very good at digging things out and i am good at perservering!

cheers
Jack
and keep up the good work.
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 March 20 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Actually, Scotland has more cricketers per head of population than England.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)