Author Topic: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Maggie1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I am trying to find out about my ancestors who left from Bernera in the parish of Uig, in the Isle of Lewis, Scotland on the ship Marquis of Stafford in 1851.  I believe they settled in Whitton Township. John Maciver (b:1819) and wife Mary.  They had three children when they left, Catherine, Mary and Margaret and had seven more children after settlement Rachel, John, Marian, Augusta, William, Chirsty and Norman.  There was a lady visiting cousins in Bernera, Lewis in the 1960s called Jessie (I think) who was a descendant, but then the link was sadly lost.  I would value any information.

Many thanks.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »
A possibility
FreeReg has a marriage in Uig dated 6th November 1842 between John MacIver and Mary Macdonald.
There are other marriages for a John MacIver too, but this one looks promising because the groom's father's name was Norman (Normand in the transcription).
The 1841 census has this John with his father Norman and mother Christy and with siblings whose names include  Marion and Catherine.

Piece: SCT1841/89
Place: Uig -Ross and Cromarty
Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Uig
Folio: 0 Page: 5
Address: Tobson

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 December 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
The MacIver's were supposedly immune to snakebites, old Gaelic saying to that effect.

Skoosh.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Skoosh - i can confirm the "supposedly" tag. In my part of the world there is only one reference to McIvor  around the turn of the century and he sadly passed away without off spring. So no current McIvors.
From the land of poisonous snakes  we have not been over run by McIvors.
Cheers
Jack Gee
around Euroa - Vic Australia.
ps - our McIvor was a handy cricketer.
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
A Scotchman who played cricket? I'd keep that quiet!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh, dont forget Douglas Jardine - a scottish born man who Captained England in the Bodyline series in 1932/3.
cheers
Jack
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN

Offline Maggie1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bev.

Margaret

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 December 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Certainly unusual Jack no doubt they're about but I can honestly say that I've never met anybody this side of the border who plays cricket!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 December 17 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Certainly unusual Jack no doubt they're about but I can honestly say that I've never met anybody this side of the border who plays cricket!  ;D

Skoosh.

The town I live in (Arbroath) has had a Cricket club since about 1840. Still going today.  ;D
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie