Author Topic: "Clerk" meaning in 17th century  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Arvanitakis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Clerk" meaning in 17th century
« on: Friday 01 December 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I have found a reference potentially to an ancestor of mine in a will (a semi-rare name in Wales at the time) but it refers to him as a 'clerk' so I am unsure if it is the same man. I know he was definitely not a clergyman/'clerk in holy orders' and have only seen 'Clerk' used in this period as meaning that.

I have a copy of a letter which he wrote in his capacity of high constable for the hundred but not sure if this qualifies him as a 'clerk'. He is described elsewhere as 'gentleman'.

Would be interested to hear what people think....

Thank you in advance,

A.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: "Clerk" meaning in 17th century
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
According to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary, besides cleric (or lay reader) it also meant a scholar or man of book learning.  In mediaeval times the two would have been almost synonymous, and such a person transacted all matters involving writing -- hence the later meaning of an officer in charge of records and correspondence, who conducts the business of a court or corporation, or perhaps of a society or some other body.

Since then the term has rather come down in the world.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Clerk" meaning in 17th century
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 December 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
If he was a "High Constable of the Hundred" then he could have been a "Clerk of the Peace". A Clerk of the Peace kept records of the Quarter Sessions and framed presentments and indictments. A High Constable of the Hundred was responsible for law and order.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk