Author Topic: TOMON, TOMAN or THOMAS IN NEW JERSEY  (Read 1751 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TOMON, TOMAN or THOMAS IN NEW JERSEY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 December 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I don't see that draft registration card, if it is him. 

Social Security applications for sons Edward & Anthony and a Pennsylvania marriage record for Edward have Regina's maiden name as Siciak.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The New Jersey brides' index shows that Regina Sucak married Stephen Tomon in 1918 with certificate # as 32635.  https://ia800800.us.archive.org/2/items/NJ_Marriage_Index_Brides_1915-1919_R-S/Reclaim_The_Records_-_New_Jersey_Marriage_Index_-_Brides_-_1915-1919_-_R-S.pdf  There is also an entry for the same certificate number for Regina Siciak and Stephen Tomcej, so maybe one of them contained their birth names and the other had names that they were known as?

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all of this!  Still nothing about a death or burial for Stefan, Stephen?  His grave would answer many questions.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 December 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
There's nothing comprehensive online for New Jersey deaths from that time frame, so it may require ordering the record from the state.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you but how can I order a certificate when I don't know date or place of death?  All I can do is guess: about the time of those directories, 1937-38, give or take a year, probably at Newark where they lived.  Censuses showed the name as Tomon, Toman, Thomas, Tamas.  Neither he nor his wife could read and write, so that was up to others.  How to order a certificate?  I'm not in the U.S.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
It seems likely that he died in New Jersey, so you could try ordering from the state of New Jersey. http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/order-vital/genealogical-records/  Alternatively, the state archives has death records up to 1940, & you could try to find someone who would visit there and do a look-up.  http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/

Otherwise, since genealogybank.com has a lot of Newark newspapers and offers a 30-day free trial, you could try searching further there. 

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 December 17 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Shelly.  The system seems designed to be costly and difficult.  In order to find out the date of his death... relatives must know the date of his death!  And without knowing that date, they have to pay and pay and pay for searches.  The name was spelled so many different ways, it becomes bafflingly complex.  I will pass on this information to his relatives in Poland.  Sounds like they are out of luck.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 December 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I imagine if you made a request from the state, you could explain that the name may have been spelled in two ways.  It sounds like Thomas was just a mistake on the census.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
The change from Tomon to Thomas wasn’t just a census error: there was a movement, for foreigners to blend-in.  Tomons in the U.S. changed to Thomas.  Babiarz became Barber; Jurkiewicz became York.  French-Canadians in New England named Le Blanc were encouraged to change it to White.  Try to sound less obviously foreign.