Author Topic: Are There any Online Records for the Marylebone Workhouse?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are There any Online Records for the Marylebone Workhouse?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 December 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I would imagine "Lying in" would now be called a maternity ward. Just as there used to be lying in hospitals, where women went to give birth.

It may be that the relevant admission and discharge register does not survive. So she wouldn't be on that ancestry database. Fortunately, ancestry have the creed register among their unindexed London poor law records
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

We can look through these by using the small boxes on the right-hand side of the page, under "Browse this collection"
Select
Borough - Westminster
Parish or the Poor Law Union - St Marylebone
Record Type - choose what you want
e.g. Religious Creed
scroll down to Northumberland Street Workhouse: Creed Registers, 1881-1882

What is a pity is that Elizabeth didn't appear in the workhouse exams book for that period.
And please forgive my initial irritation on seeing your post!
John

I had wondered whether 'Lying in' might have meant what you suggested. In any event what you discovered does seem to indicate that Lizzie [aka Elizabeth] was not a long-term resident of the Workhouse, and was likely there just for the birth of son Louis, and the subsequent period of recovery.

Thank you for the guidance concerning how to find this type of record. I had used the 'small boxes' you describe, but only when looking up various Census information, when I was wanting to find places covered within larger parishes. Now I know they could be really useful in other situations too.

About your final point - absolutely not a problem John, I am just so grateful for your help and expert guidance.

Best wishes,

Alan

FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP