Author Topic: Are There any Online Records for the Marylebone Workhouse?  (Read 4547 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are There any Online Records for the Marylebone Workhouse?
« on: Friday 01 December 17 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Is anyone aware whether there are any online records concerning the Marylebone Workhouse particularly covering the year 1881? I ask because I am trying to locate what happened to a then 19-year-old girl, who, in 1881, had been a servant in a 'Lodging House' at nearby 43 Manchester Street. She had been entered on the Census under the name of Lizzie CODLING. That may well have been the name by which she was known, but her actual 'Given' name was Elizabeth.

I am making this enquiry on behalf of a friend, whose family had been focussed around the Marylebone area, certainly since the early 1800’s. In particular, they were inquisitive about the origins of my friend’s Great Grandfather, who had become somewhat of a mystery. It would now appear he was born in the Marylebone Workhouse, on the 2nd November 1881. Louis BENOIT, the Head of House at 43 Manchester Street, had been born in France in 1822, and at 59-years-old was some 40 years older than his servant Lizzie CODLING. It was he who appears to have fathered Lizzie's illegitimate son. I do not know when the 59-year-old Louis BENOIT came to England.

I also have seen on an old map that the Marylebone Workhouse, where Lizzie Codling’s illegitimate son ‘Louis’ was born, was quite close to Manchester Street so she would not have had far to go when she presumably was ‘asked’ to leave the Benoit household.

It is apparent that she had transitioned across to 15 Victoria Place when she registered the birth on the 11th November 1881, but then she disappears, presently I can’t find her anywhere. Victoria Place no longer exists, but I understand that "Victoria Place was renamed as a new part of Fisherton Street in 1914 (the N.W. leg) and was extended during redevelopment to join what is now Lyons Place".

If there are any online records for the Marylebone Workhouse, I am hoping that they may be able to tell me when Lizzie [Elizabeth] CODLING was admitted there, as well as when she left. I don't for a moment expect them to record where she went. The 1881 Census states that she had been born in Suffolk.

Yours hopefully,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are There any Online Records for the Marylebone Workhouse?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Surviving St Marylebone Poor Law records are at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) in Islington.
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone aware whether there are any online records concerning the Marylebone Workhouse particularly covering the year 1881?

Extraordinary question.
I told you not long ago, I gave you Elizabeth's details from the creed register.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783113.36

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
It is apparent that she had transitioned across to 15 Victoria Place when she registered the birth on the 11th November 1881

discharged 14 Dec 1881

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
The LMA's catalogue for the Marylebone Board of Guardians
https://search.lma.gov.uk/LMA_DOC/STMBG.PDF

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I also have seen on an old map that the Marylebone Workhouse, where Lizzie Codling’s illegitimate son ‘Louis’ was born, was quite close to Manchester Street so she would not have had far to go when she presumably was ‘asked’ to leave the Benoit household.

admitted from 15 Victoria Place

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Extraordinary question.
I told you not long ago, I gave you Elizabeth's details from the creed register.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783113.36

Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to research the information for me. I trust that you will forgive me as at the point of posting my question I had not seen your own post on the Suffolk Board, hence my enquiry. Sometimes I seem to get an e-mail alerting me to a reply, but at other times not.  I have looked at the Suffolk Board so many times while I have been pursuing this query, but not since yesterday morning as I recall. Your post was published at 18.26 earlier this evening.

All that being said, you are obviously more practised at this type of enquiry than I am, so what seems to be apparent is that Elizabeth CODLING entered the Workhouse just a few short days before her son was born, and she stayed there approximately ten weeks. After her discharge, she just disappears.

If I may ask a somewhat naive question, what does the phrase 'lying in' imply? Is it intended to cover cases like Elizabeth's, where she needs particular care and attention, as the case would have been with an impending birth?

Before I viewed your post on the London & Middlesex Board I had tried to search for any admission and discharge information via the Ancestry site listings for the All London, England, Workhouse Admission and Discharge Records, 1659-1930. I couldn't find any Elizabeth Codling information there at all.

Now that you have given me the catalogue listings for the LMA I will have to bookmark the site first of all and then make myself familiar with finding my way around it, in order to view any relevant holdings.

Thank you again for what proved to be vital information, and exactly what I was looking for!

Best wishes,

Alan

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 17 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Surviving St Marylebone Poor Law records are at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) in Islington.

Hi there,

Very many thanks for highlighting the availability of Poor Law Records at the LMA. You may well have seen my reply just now to jonw65 where I said that I would need to bookmark the site (I have now done that) so that I can find my way around it. It looks a really fascinating resource.

I'm in Derbyshire, and the chances of visiting the Archive are presently pretty slim, so online resources are crucial for me.

I do appreciate the link you gave.

Best wishes,

Alan

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 December 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I would imagine "Lying in" would now be called a maternity ward. Just as there used to be lying in hospitals, where women went to give birth.

It may be that the relevant admission and discharge register does not survive. So she wouldn't be on that ancestry database. Fortunately ancestry have the creed register among their unindexed London poor law records
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1557

We can look through these by using the small boxes on the right hand side of the page, under "Browse this collection"
Select
Borough - Westminster
Parish or Poor Law Union - St Marylebone
Record Type - choose what you want
e.g. Religious Creed
scroll down to
Northumberland Street Workhouse: Creed Registers, 1881-1882

What is a pity is that Elizabeth didn't appear in the workhouse exams book for that period.
And please forgive my initial irritation on seeing your post!
John