Author Topic: Come in the Christmas Smileys...You're late!  (Read 10489 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Come in the Christmas Smileys...You're late!
« Reply #72 on: Monday 18 December 17 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Christmas day is 1st day of Christmas and 12th night is 5th January - the day before Epiphany (6th).  Twas ever thus in our Anglican household  :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 00:13 GMT (UK) »
   Cats do love a Christmas tree, don't they! ;D

I just felt compelled to say that we blamed our elderly cat for several years on the trot for peeing under the Christmas tree. After he died we figured out the tree stand was leaking  ::)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

I suppose it depends on many things but basically the 12 days as we know them are relatively modern. They were brought into the church calendar in the 16th century. Prior to that for most people the period following the alleged birth of christ (nowhere does the bible give that date) it was followed by a series of saints days. These would all have been strict religous days with none of the feasting and such that we know as christmas.

We consider it unlucky to leave decorations up after 12th night but in Germany it is traditional to leave them up until candlemas, 2nd feb.

John915

And (some say) based on the 12 days of feasting that was the Roman Saturnalia?!
http://www.historytoday.com/matt-salusbury/did-romans-invent-christmas

I would also point out that in Europe (particularly Spain and the Netherlands), 12th Night is called Three Kings Night - Driekoningen Dag (I lived in NL for 16 years).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)