Author Topic: ONONDAGA, NY - Catherine Robinson (1822-1907)  (Read 1415 times)

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ONONDAGA, NY - Catherine Robinson (1822-1907)
« on: Sunday 03 December 17 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for some help with the family of Catherine Robinson (1822-1907).  My primary goal is to find out who her parents and grandparents were.

Catherine was born in Onondaga, NY, on 22 Feb 1822.  Family lore has it that her father's name was Charles.  She married David Lewis McHuron (1818-1904) in 1843/45, and they had migrated to Kenosha, Wisconsin by 1850.  David's father Seth McHuron (1769-1840) had owned property in Lysander, Onondaga, NY, and his brother Lyman McHuron (1798-1884) was an early founder of the area who is named in various publications (newspapers, books, etc).  The McHuron's came to NY from Massachusetts by way of Vermont.

Meanwhile, a woman named Olive Robinson was born in 1801 in Vermont.  Many family historians online suggest that her parents were Absalom Robinson and Mary Polly Fuller (who is buried in Baldwinsville, NY).  She married Malachi Cox, and they had a few children including George Robinson Cox (1829-1911) and Hosea Cox (1835-1915), before moving to Lysander, NY. 

George and Hosea married two of Lyman McHuron's daughters, Amanda Charlotte McHuron (1832-1910) and Ruth Ann McHuron (1839-1862).

The Olive Robinson connection may just be a coincidence, but my hunch is that there's a family relationship between Olive and Catherine (e.g. Olive is her aunt).  But again, my goal is to find out who Catherine's direct ancestors were.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Wisconsin: Lytle, Young, Feldschau
Ontario/Scotland: Main, Steele
New York: Van Horne, Hipelius
Bavaria: Hipelius, Trost, Roser

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ONONDAGA, NY - Catherine Robinson (1822-1907)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a death certificate for Catherine?  Sometimes those will list parents' names.

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I don't have a death certificate, haven't found one yet, but that's a good reminder to keep trying to locate one.  Any recommendations on record repositories that might have early 20th century Wisconsin death records in particular?   

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
1907 was right when Wisconsin started statewide registration, so unfortunately compliance might not have been great then.  There are some advice/links on these pages - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/How_to_Find_Wisconsin_Death_Records  http://www.deathindexes.com/wisconsin/index.html

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 18 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Update: I was able to obtain Catherine's death certificate, and her father was in fact Charles Robinson. Her mother's name was not listed.

I also found this note in Genealogies of the Families and Descendants of the Early Settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts, Including Waltham and Weston, To which is Appended the Early History of the Town:
"David L. m. Jan 1845 Catherine Robinson, dr. of Charles Robinson of Vanhorn, NY."
https://archive.org/details/genealogiesoffam00bond

There is no Vanhorn, NY, but there is Van Hornesville and Van Buren.  Van Buren is closer to Lysander and Baldwinsville where the McHuron's were based. I've been able to find a Charles Robinson and family there in the 1850 census that could be Catherine's relatives.
www.familysearch.org/search/record/results

I don't have any additional information.

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 April 18 05:28 BST (UK) »
Curious if anyone with familiarity in upstate/NW NY records has advice on how to proceed here - is it possible that Onondaga County may have something? Again, since the McHuron's were pioneers in the area, there is a significant amount written about them. The McHuron + Robinson marriage was in 1845, so it's not inconceivable that a marriage record exists, right?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
New York state didn't require statewide vital registration until 1881, so anything before that would be held on a local level or there could be a church marriage record.

There are some databases at the county library that can be searched on request.  http://www.onlib.org/research/special-collections/local-history-genealogy/lhg-databases/one-kind-databases  The Vitals Index might be one to check for what you're looking for.

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 24 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Any new users have ideas here? None of my searching has yielded results, this is one of my longest-standing brick walls.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you found any wills or probate records for the people you're looking for?  They might mention family members.

There may be more newspapers available online now, so it's worth re-checking those if you haven't recently.  Fultonhistory.com and nyshistoricnewspapers.org have a lot from upstate New York,