Author Topic: BAVARIA: John Joseph Hipelius b. 1811 Sulzdorf  (Read 1324 times)

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BAVARIA: John Joseph Hipelius b. 1811 Sulzdorf
« on: Sunday 03 December 17 05:33 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, John Joseph Hipelius, was born in 1811 in Sulzdorf, Schweinfurt, Germany.

He married Anna Margaret Kaufmann (1818-1850), daughter of Johannes Michael Kaufmann (1787-1834) and Maria Margaretha Burkhardt (1793-1843) in Stadtlauringen, Schweinfurt.

The emigrated with their children to the United States in Jul 1850, settling in Buffalo, Erie, NY.

It's likely that John Joseph is the brother of Franziska Hedwig Hipelius (born abt. 1810), who married Michael Zimmerman, emigrated to the US around the same time, also lived in Erie County in the 1850s and 1860s, and ended up living in Oregon State as Frances Zimmerman.  It's possible they were the siblings of Frederick Hipelius (1822-1896) and Carl Hipelius (1826-), two other immigrants (Frederich also in Jul 1850, Carl in 1853).

I have been unable to find any information about John Joseph and his ancestors in Bavaria.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Wisconsin: Lytle, Young, Feldschau
Ontario/Scotland: Main, Steele
New York: Van Horne, Hipelius
Bavaria: Hipelius, Trost, Roser

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAVARIA: John Joseph Hipelius b. 1811 Sulzdorf
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to the "Archives of the Roman Catholic Bishopric of Wuerzburg"

http://www.archiv.bistum-wuerzburg.de/information-in-english

If you open the list of available parish records you´ll find Stadtlauringen.

and here is a link to the "Society for Family Research in Franconia"

https://www.gf-franken.de/en/homepage.html

maybe they can help?

Dave

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Had a bit of a search and found a few things.

Johann Joseph and his brother Gregor are mentioned in the Yearbooks of the "Königlichen Studien Anstalt" (Gymnasium/Highschool)  in Münnerstadt. Father is Felix Hipelius Teacher from Sulzdorf. As a teacher he was most probably sent there from a larger town.

Unfortunately Gregor was killed in Münnerstadt when a large stone fell from a doorway. Here is a photo of the stone with inscription : http://www.infranken.de/regional/bad-kissingen/Stein-erinnert-an-tragisches-Unglueck;art211,95073

In 1845 Businessman Joseph and his wife Margaretha filed for bankruptcy .

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/hipelius/  On this thread a person from Bamberg with a  tree going back to 1740 tries to make contact. Seems according to verwandt.de the name  Hipelius can now only be found in Bamberg. Werner Hipelius was, until 2014, Mayor of Bamberg and his son Stefan is an Alderman and his address can easily be found on the net.

Hope this helps, good luck, regards Peonie

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 December 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peonie and davecapps!

These notes were definitely helpful.  I spent some time scouring more digital books and found some great additional information.  I'm also contacting the Franconian family research society to see if they can point me toward records.

If anyone on the list happens to be in Bavaria and is willing to do additional searching, please let me know.

Happy Holidays all.

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
I wanted to report back on this thread, that I've made some significant progress on Johan Joseph Hipelius's branch thanks to the leads from Peonie and davecapps.  So thank you again!

Before closing out the thread, I wanted to see if anyone might be able to help with a piece of the story I'm still missing: as I said in my first post, Joseph (b. 1811) emigrated to the USA around the same time as a few other younger Hipelius men (Jul 1850). These are, I believe, the ancestors of any Hipelius family members in the USA.

I've been unable so far (might take a trip to Germany) to determine how/if all these immigrants are related. I'm hoping to determine their immediate parentage, at least, so I can make the links to Joseph's branch.

Frederick Hipelius (b. 26 Feb 1822), arrived in Jul 1850
Carl/Charles Hipelius (b. 1836), arrived in 1853
Balthasar Hipelius (b. Jul 1832), arrived in 1886

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ndhubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
According to census and birth records, this Carl's (b. 1826) wife was Barbara Rink.
Frederick's wife was Johanna Heinz.
Balthasar's wife was Margaret Deppisch (married in Wüzburg in 1864).
They were all married before emigrating.

Carl Hipelius von Bayerd, who married Aloisia Saettele, was born in Aug 1791 in Nordheim (most likely Nordheim am Main, where there are other documented Hipelius individuals). His parents were Joseph Hipelius von Bayerd Hipelius and Rosalie Abt. It's possible he could be an uncle or cousin of Joseph Hipelius (b.1811 in Stadlauringen, parents Felix Hipelius and Barbara Göpfert).

Interesting to note the "von Bayerd".  I've tried to look into it, and some sites indicate this connects the family to Germany nobility. I haven't been able to find the link between this branch and the other Hipelius individuals I've been tracking (a separate task - or maybe not? - from linking all the Hipelius emigrants to the USA).

Aliosia's (b. 1801) parents were, according to the birth and marriage records, Konrad Seattle and Theresia Sorg.