Author Topic: Southern Counties Asylum Records  (Read 2559 times)

Offline AussieKate

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Counties Asylum Records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 17 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Yeah i do have a black and white copy of the entry of the death with the cause of death.
Briers, Broach, Redman, Boxall, Burgess, Tomlinson, Pateman

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
The Wellcome Library page for Crichton Royal  Hospital  states  that  the digitised archive covers the period from 1823 - 2008 and includes records on patients admissions and casenotes from 1838-1913.

William

Thanks William, yes, I noticed the details about the coverage, but I can't find anywhere to "search" these records by the person's name. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious. :)

Kate, I have heard that record keeping was not the best and that some records are missing. Apparently Sheriff's Warrants may also be worth pursuing. If Peter was on the 1871 census and died in 1873 at the asylum, this narrows down his date of admission.

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

The Wellcome records are not easy to search and not all of them are online.  I have had a look at them and found Peter Boach (as it is spelled). He was admitted to the Southern Counties Asylum on 10/09/1872.he was shown as married and aged 52 years with no occupation and home address: Nethermill, Kirkmichael.  Form of Mental Disorder: Idiocy.  Bodily Condition Impaired.  Supposed Cause Unknown.  His date of death 25/04/1873 which you already have. Hope this helps.

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
I have also found the Sherrif Warrant which was signed to put Peter into the Asylum. I can email you a copy if you message me.

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Scottish news on Friday had Graham Roberts, Archivist at Dumfries, interviewed about the Chrichton Records. Welcome Trist spent £200,000 on the project and it has now been finished.

Ian McClumpha