Author Topic: Burial records  (Read 342 times)

Offline AussieKate

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial records
« on: Sunday 03 December 17 06:30 GMT (UK) »
i am wondering if anybody can help me in locating the burial location of my 4x Great Grandmother (Isabella Broatch/Broach) and her son my 4x Great Uncle (Peter Broatch/Broach).

Isabella Died 20/8/1873 at Nethermill, Dumfries
Peter Died 25/4/1873 at Southern Counties Asylum, Dumfries

The rest of the Broatch/Broach family are buried in Kirkmichael, Dumfries
Briers, Broach, Redman, Boxall, Burgess, Tomlinson, Pateman

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
firstly, the Southern Counties asylum was for poor people so there is a fair chance there will not be a gravestone. There are three cemeteries in Kirkmichael parish, Kirkmichael, Old Garrell and the newer Kirkmichael Graveyard. The last one has never had the gravestones recorded and I am not sure when it opened, maybe in the 1900s.

My usual method is to check the newspapers for a death or funeral notice. Often that will say what graveyard the burial is in. If there is still no gravestone, a visit to the local council office might turn up a lair record but that isn't guaranteed before 1929.

Best wishes
Ian A McClumpha

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.