Author Topic: Found an old plate  (Read 4495 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Found an old plate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 April 18 03:49 BST (UK) »
Looking at the face chips damage to the plate suggest brittle glace surface and durable strong course pot (ironstone ?) make up. 17th/18th century  ??? maybe by the picture of the mans attire.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 April 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Looking at the face chips damage to the plate suggest brittle glace surface and durable strong course pot (ironstone ?) make up. 17th/18th century  ??? maybe by the picture of the mans attire.

Surely just because of his clothing that doesn’t make it that old? I have some Delft plates I bought in Delft in 1980, they have people in 17th century clothing, but I know the plates are modern.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:07 BST (UK) »

Surely just because of his clothing that doesn’t make it that old? I have some Delft plates I bought in Delft in 1980, they have people in 17th century clothing, but I know the plates are modern.

Found with that type of pipe and dates in the link info suggest Delfit with century plus age to it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delftware
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
"White!" was a prominent pipe manufacturer in Glasgow. Big exporter.

Skoosh.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 April 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the photos...... have you thought of sending the pictures to your local museum?

Perhaps their experts can be more specific.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
The plate looks transfer printed so would be post 1750s
Ray