Author Topic: Bugler in 2nd West Yorks Militia?  (Read 700 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bugler in 2nd West Yorks Militia?
« on: Sunday 03 December 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I recently discovered a baptism for my 3x Great Aunt Eliza Ann Blanthorn at Haslar Hospital in 1858. It states that the child was born in Haslar Barracks to William and Emma Blanthorn and that William was a 'bugler' in the 2nd West Yorks militia.

What was the role of a bugler and would it be possible to find any service records that he might have had? Blanthorn is a very rare surname and i did also find a nominal roll list on the Lancashire Archives website which lists a William Blanthorn enrolled and serving in the 6th Lancashire 1st Manchester Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1860, could this be the same man?

In the 1861 census William is back to his usual occupation as a travelling bookseller, so he cant have been in the military for long (he was born in Manchester in 1838).

Thanks,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bugler in 2nd West Yorks Militia?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Many regiments used buglers (some still do) to sound calls marking the daily routine in barracks and to "broadcast" commands in battle.  There is also mention in newspapers of the 2nd West Yorks having a band.  The militia were, unless embodied for full time service, a part time organisation.  The militia were embodied for service in England in 1857 to replace units of the regular army during the Indian Mutiny.  The 2nd West Yorks were embodied in (I think) September 1857 and the headquarters were certainly in Haslar Barracks in January 1858.  The embodiment finished in mid 1858.  Whether he was also later in the Rifle Volunteers - pass.

In  Sep 1861 a William Blanthorn (possibly him) he was imprisoned for 3 months in Belle Vue for assaulting Emma, his occupation noted as hawker so may or may not have still been in the militia.  There is also a later newspaper report of a William Blanthorn, hawker,  in 1866 getting a month in prison for a con trick.

No military records come to light on line.  There are muster books for the 2nd West York Militia Yorkt at the National Archives, those for the period are at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=2nd%20west%20york%20militia&_ep=muster&_dss=range&_sd=1855&_ed=1865&_ro=any&_p=1800&_st=adv which would have to be trawled for his name.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Many regiments used buglers (some still do) to sound calls marking the daily routine in barracks and to "broadcast" commands in battle.  There is also mention in newspapers of the 2nd West Yorks having a band.  The militia were, unless embodied for full time service, a part time organisation.  The militia were embodied for service in England in 1857 to replace units of the regular army during the Indian Mutiny.  The 2nd West Yorks were embodied in (I think) September 1857 and the headquarters were certainly in Haslar Barracks in January 1858.  The embodiment finished in mid 1858.  Whether he was also later in the Rifle Volunteers - pass.

In  Sep 1861 a William Blanthorn (possibly him) he was imprisoned for 3 months in Belle Vue for assaulting Emma, his occupation noted as hawker so may or may not have still been in the militia.  There is also a later newspaper report of a William Blanthorn, hawker,  in 1866 getting a month in prison for a con trick.

No military records come to light on line.  There are muster books for the 2nd West York Militia Yorkt at the National Archives, those for the period are at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=2nd%20west%20york%20militia&_ep=muster&_dss=range&_sd=1855&_ed=1865&_ro=any&_p=1800&_st=adv which would have to be trawled for his name.

MaxD

MaxD,

Thanks so much for that information, a bugler must be an interesting role to have! i've never heard of one before. I knew about the two events you mentioned and are indeed both the right man, but there's no way of telling if he was still in the military, part time. He always used the occupation of a Hawker or Travelling Bookseller.

I'l have a look at the muster books and do a bit of research on the band you mentioned too.

Thanks again,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
In  Sep 1861 a William Blanthorn (possibly him) he was imprisoned for 3 months in Belle Vue for assaulting Emma,

FindMyPast has the prison register, with a description.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Pendlelad

(Going off our User Names -- we must live fairly close!)

Just to say that if you have access to Find My Past -- the interesting record found by Shaun is amongst the 'Manchester Prison Records' -- as opposed to the general 'Crime' records.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.