Author Topic: Seeking Caroline Louisa Gee and David Clark marriage, approx 1879, Liverpool  (Read 3690 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Caroline Louisa Gee and David Clark marriage, approx 1879, Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 December 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
No Clark/Squire births but 2 Squire/Squire

ADA  ELIZABETH ANN  SQUIRE     March qtr 1866 WEST DERBY AND TOXTETH PARK  Volume 08B  Page 345   
LOUISA  JANE SQUIRE  March qtr 1867 WEST DERBY AND TOXTETH PARK  Volume 08B  Page 354
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Caroline Louisa Gee and David Clark marriage, approx 1879, Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Also Isabella Ritchie Squire 1869 West Derby.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if David Clark was already married. There is an 1871 census entry for a David ( transcribed as Davies on Ancestry) Clark age 24, a Coach Smith, born Liverpool with wife Mary E age 19 and daughter Abler? Age 24 mths. Matching marriage seems to be David Clark to Mary Ellen Squire in 1870 in Liverpool. Select marriages on Ancestry indicate marriage on 17/1/1870 with David's father being Alexander Clark and Mary Ellen's father being Walter James Squire. Don't see any obvious birth for the daughter under Clark(e) or Squire and no sign of any of them in 1881.
Isobel

Here is the 1870 marriage:-

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-896P-KDRK?cat=122430

Blue

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
A great shame that bluesofa has not come back to this thread, even though he/she has been on-line since posting  :'(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone.

CaroleW - it does look like you may have found the birth of "my" Caroline Louisa. I'm hoping to find the marriage record with David to confirm Caroline's father's name to support this.

I'm only speculating that Caroline re-married. Having her father's name from her marriage to David may also help to support or refute this. 

I hadn't tried to explore David's pre-Caroline life, as Isobelw suggests. Having a possible name for David's father, plus an occupation (thank you Blue70), may help in finding David's marriage to Caroline.

However, as BumbleB says, Caroline and David's marriage doesn't appear to be within freebmd (under those names at least).  I guess Chempat could be right and they were not married.  However, I'm still hoping a marriage record is there to be found somewhere...

P.S (while I've been online, I haven't had a chance to consider your responses until now - instead helping children to bed, making pack lunches and generally getting ready for the week ahead - please do not take it as a sign that I'm not interested or appreciate all your help)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Could be his birth

Births June qtr 1877     
Alexander Clark     West Derby    8b   432  mmn Craw (possibly Crow)

But could this be that one's death?

Deaths June quarter 1895 
Alexander   Clark age 18    W. Derby    8b   334

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
No Clark/Squire births but 2 Squire/Squire

ADA  ELIZABETH ANN  SQUIRE     March qtr 1866 WEST DERBY AND TOXTETH PARK  Volume 08B  Page 345   
LOUISA  JANE SQUIRE  March qtr 1867 WEST DERBY AND TOXTETH PARK  Volume 08B  Page 354

These two children are with mother Charlotte in 1871 3824/36/18

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Certainly could be his death - age fits

1891 has 2 x Alexander Clark entries born Liverpool (excluding the one born to David & Caroline)

1878 - parents John W & Grace
1879 - parents Cummings and Martha

Buying the 1909 marriage cert will confirm Caroline was a spinster and also her fathers name

It will also give Alexander's fathers name
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have to get the Alexander & Caroline marriage certificate, just to see if it contains any further clues. If I'm lucky it may say whether Caroline was a widow and if I'm really lucky her former name as Clark.  That will help support identifying Caroline's parents, but I will still be at a loss for David.

Possibly there was a son (rather than daughter) of David and Mary?

CLARK, ALEXANDER       SQUIRES, Q4 1870, West Derby & Toxteth Park 8b 419

I didn't find any other Clark/Squires births around this period in West Derby, plus a quick search didn't find this Alexander in the 1871 census (so perhaps he has been mis-recorded).  However, there are also at least 2 deaths recorded for Alexander Clark, age 0, in West Derby in Q4 1870.

So perhaps David did name his first born son from each marriage Alexander.  However, I feel like I need a stronger link between the David of David & Mary and the David of David & Caroline before drawing too many conclusions.

Many thanks for all your help,