Author Topic: Ww2 merchant seaman death  (Read 1764 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ww2 merchant seaman death
« on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »

Can anyone help with this query from my local history site ?

TIA

Can anyone advise me where to look for a merchant seaman's grave, please? This man was not a casualty of the war but drowned at Dunkirk docks in 1939 when he accidentally fell into the water during a blackout.. The family were originally sent details of the burial by police at Dunkirk but in the years since, an Uncle has destroyed the record, thinking that no-one would ever want to go and view the grave.. Now the granddaughter is seeking help to locate the grave of this Goole-born seaman.....I've tried searching several sites with no luck... including Find a Grave, CWGC, National Archives...Name...Alfred Henry Sheppard, Born Wressle- 1883 and was aboard the ss.Kalua at the time of his death...
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Ww2 merchant seaman death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if there would be anything in newspaper reports of the time, I can pop to Goole library to see if they have anything on micro film from the "Goole Times" which they have access to, it would be the back end of the week tho' if that's any help.

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Frank that's great thank you.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Frank that's great thank you.

Ady

No worries, I'll update when I've been.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 December 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
If the police in Dunkirk sent details of the burial, then I would think he is buried at Dinkirk in France
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Ady, I went to Goole today to visit the library, unfortunately the only machine they have for checking the microfilm was in use all day and is booked for use all week, they do hold copies of the Goole Times on film so I have "Booked" the machine for my use this coming Monday morning, I am sorry about the delay but will try to find any information regarding the burial of Alfred on Monday.

Frank.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 17 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Frank much appreciated

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 December 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ady, I went and spent the morning at Goole library today and trawled through the Goole Times for any information on Alfred Henry Sheppard, I looked at copies of the paper from mid October 1939 (a couple of weeks before his death) up to, and including, December 1940 and unfortunately could not find any mention of him.

I was certain there would have been something reported even if it was just the mention of his death but there was nothing, not even a report of any inquest etc.

I'm sorry I could find nothing for you but at least we gave it a go.

Frank.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Sterling work Frank, pity about the outcome.
Ady, have you tried contacting the cemeteries in Dunkirk. As far as I can tell there are three. This seems to be the main one.
https://www.ww1cemeteries.com/dunkirk-town-cemetery.html
Also the logbook of KALUA official number 142408 will give details of his demise and with a bit of luck details of his burial.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11025887

regards
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022