Author Topic: William Somerville Death  (Read 3985 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Somerville Death
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for entering wrong marriage date for William and Janet.  I have since amended the marriage date. 
In answer to Forfarian, I already had all this information but Janets parents were JOhn Wotherspoon and Christina Neilson not Sword

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Carole
Yes, that's the census I was speaking about.
Janet died in 1897 and her parents are John Wotherspoon & Christina Neilson and same parents on marriage to William.
William's mother was Mary Muirhead, sister of James Muirhead who was married to Janet Wotherspoon

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
In answer to Forfarian, I already had all this information but Janets parents were JOhn Wotherspoon and Christina Neilson not Sword
Another time, I recommend that you include all the information you already have, so that folk can see what you have already done, and avoid duplication of effort.

Back to the questions in my previous post. Does the death certificate of Janet Wotherspoon or Muirhead or Somerville say that she was married, or that she was widowed?

Do you have the death certificate of Mary Muirhead or Somerville? If so, who was the informant?

The answers to these questions will help to narrow down the search for William's death.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 December 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
It looks like I will have to do more research myself in Mary's death.  She wasn't registered as a widow at the time of her death in 1897.  Maybe he re-married as he was younger than her.
I'll do some more checking

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 December 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
It looks like I will have to do more research myself in Mary's death.  She wasn't registered as a widow at the time of her death in 1897.  Maybe he re-married as he was younger than her.
I'll do some more checking
I thought you said that it was Janet who died in 1897, and that her daughter Annie was the informant?

If so, the certificate ought to say something like 'Janet Somerville, married to (1) James Muirhead (2) William Somerville' or it should say 'Janet Somerville, widow of (1) James Muirhead (2) William Somerville'. This tells you whether he died before her (in which case you only have to search from 1881, when you know he was alive because he is in the census, to 1897) or survived her (in which case you can start searching at 1897, when he was at least 59 years old). This will cut down the number of deaths you need to check.

So what, exactly, does that 1897 death certificate say?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian
You asked me if I had checked Mary's death certificate in your previous message.
William's Mother was Mary Muirhead who he was living with on the 1881 census in Carmyle.
He also had a stepdaughter called Mary Muirhead who was Janets daughter to James Muirhead.
I too am confused.. 
I'm beginning to think that they maybe split up if he was staying with his Mother as Head of the house.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
You asked me if I had checked Mary's death certificate in your previous message.

No he didn't and nor did I in my earlier reply

This is what you said in your opening post

Janets death was regstered by their daughter Annie.

My reply dated 3rd Dec asked

What year and is she shown as a widow?

Forfarian has asked the same question twice but we still have not had a reply.  We are not interested in when William's mother died etc etc - it is his wife JANET's death cert that will say whether she was a widow

Please read all the replies again as this post is causing a great deal of confusion due to the amount of incorrect information given

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I was replying to this and thought this is what you meant.  My apologies!!
I have Janets death certificate but it doesn't say she was a widow only that she was married to James Muirhead and William Sommerville.  The death was registered by her daughter, Annie Reynard (m/s Sommerville). 
I'm sorry for all the confusion

Posted by: Forfarian
« on: Yesterday at 10:13 »

Another time, I recommend that you include all the information you already have, so that folk can see what you have already done, and avoid duplication of effort.
Back to the questions in my previous post. Does the death certificate of Janet Wotherspoon or Muirhead or Somerville say that she was married, or that she was widowed?
Do you have the death certificate of Mary Muirhead or Somerville? If so, who was the informant?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
So neither the 1891 entry or the 1897 death cert show Janet as a widow which could mean that William was still alive at that time and didn't die until after 1897

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)