Author Topic: William Somerville Death  (Read 3984 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Somerville Death
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 07:03 GMT (UK) »
That's right CaroleW.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
You asked me if I had checked Mary's death certificate in your previous message.

No he didn't
Actually, I did ask that too, and tazzy has not answered that question.

What year and is she shown as a widow?
Forfarian has asked the same question twice but we still have not had a reply.  We are not interested in when William's mother died etc etc - it is his wife JANET's death cert that will say whether she was a widow[/quote]Indeed.

But I also asked if tazzy has the death certificate of William's mother Mary Muirhead or Somerville, so that we can see if William was the informant, and if so perhaps give us another date when he was known to be alive and an address where he was living.

William's Mother was Mary Muirhead who he was living with on the 1881 census in Carmyle.
He also had a stepdaughter called Mary Muirhead who was Janets daughter to James Muirhead.
Yes I read and understood that from further up the thread.

I'm beginning to think that they maybe split up if he was staying with his Mother as Head of the house.
Several messages ago, I asked the question, "So you are saying that William and his wife were living apart in 1881?".  Have you found William in the 1891 census? And have you looked at Janet in the 1891 census to see who else was living with her?

Anyway, we now know that William was known or believed to be alive in 1897 when his wife Janet died. SP indexes 12 deaths of w*m s*m*r*v*l* born 1835-1839. Two of them (the ones who died in Edinburgh and in Carstairs) can be discounted because the census index shows them in those places in 1881, 1891 and 1901. That leaves ten.

Did William's daughter Mary Somerville get married after 1897? If so, her marriage certificate will say if William was deceased, which might help to eliminate some of the other ten. (It would have been easier if it had been Ebenezer, but it looks as if he died in Cambuslang in 1893.)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone for all your help, especially Carole and Forfarian although I confused them.
I think I'll pay a visit to the archive centre and go through everyone.

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
william summerville
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 00:29 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find a death for William Summerville (spelt various ways on census).  Sommerville, Somerville, Somervail etc. born in 1836 in Carluke
He was married to Janet Wotherspoon on 2 june 1863 in Edinburgh.  I can't find a trace for him after 1881.  Janet died on 9 April 1897 at Clydeford House, Cambuslang.
His parents were Mary Muirhead and Abel/Eben Sommerville.
I've tried all avenues and searched all records in Scotland for him but unable to trace him. 
His occupation was a meal miller.  I found him in 1885 in Carmyle on a valuation roll but no trace of him after that.
Can anyone help??

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william summerville
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 02:29 BST (UK) »
Does Janet's d/c specify her condition? (eg 'widow of' or 'wife of')

Do you have Janet in the 1891 census? Does she say she a widow?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 04:32 BST (UK) »
Age out but a maybe depending on who registered the death, a guess of age possibly?

SOMERVILLE WILLIAM 46
627/ 121 Cambuslang

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
Not the one on Cambuslang.  I've already checked that one as it was the most obvious.  I  checked every William Summerville up until 1936 (he would be 100) but there's nothing. 
Janets death certificate only says that she was married to him.  Her 2nd marriage.  It doesn't say if she was a widow.   
Its all very strange as Janet was actually his Aunt in Law and I have checked all this out.  I know that this wasn't against the law.   It seems he did a disappearing act.  Maybe went to England.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Do you know what happened to his mother Mary Muirhead after 1881? I can’t immediately see a death for her either.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Isobel
She died in 1884 in Carmyle. William signed her death certificate