Author Topic: Finding Information  (Read 1538 times)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for my family ;)
    • View Profile
Finding Information
« on: Sunday 03 December 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.

I really appreciate all the help I've been given over the many years I've been a part of this site, on and off.

I'm just wondering how people find all this information, I search before I post and only usually post asking for help after not being able to find much. So where do people find all their information? I use ancestry and other family history sites, trove, birth, death, marriages but I must be either typing in not enough info or wrong info.

There is also the fact that I am unable to pay, at this stage, to look at different things if I do find something.

Are there any sites that I'm missing or are others more intense or something than me.

Thanks

:)
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Probably a little more fluid in terms of dates, known-by names and lateral thinking.

I have no paid subs, but familysearch, freebmd, localbnd and freereg/ online parish clerks can do pretty well.

Do the replies which have found stuff not stated which resource was used? I try to show where it was found wherever possible
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes as well, less is better than more when searching. Often if I can't find a person in a census, I try looking for children instead. Or if I know the first names of people in the family, I search just using all of those, in case the surname has been transcribed incorrectly. Using that method I once found a family who, for some reason, had completely changed their surname - it was definitely them, as identified by a few unusual first names, correct order of ages and dob and places of birth. I would never have found them if I'd stuck to the father's name.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your responses.

@PaulineJ yes I believe most do say where the info is from but it can be overload depending on how much comes through.

@groom I hadn't really thought of that, I mean there was one relative way back that was the right person but had her surname spelt differently. I guess its a case of trying to work out if it is the right person depending on how much you already know.

Thanks again
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't really thought of that, I mean there was one relative way back that was the right person but had her surname spelt differently. I guess its a case of trying to work out if it is the right person depending on how much you already know. 

Oh come on! - surname spelt differently?  That happens all the time, the more so the further back you look (see many threads on here).  Surnames became 'stable' relatively recently, and most had settled in several variants, largely dependent on how the original (literate) recorders imagined they should be written.  Even the same recorder could change his mind year by year (it was usually a he).

That's why all our search engines come with a 'sounds like' button.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
It still happens today!
In the last week or so, I have had at least 2 RootsChatters spelling my surname incorrectly :-\

Can you imagine how many incorrectly spelt "official" letters I have had over the years?! ;D

The "secret" to successful researching is to remain a flexible state of mind.
Spellings can vary, transcriptions more so.
Age wasn't important in the 19th Century - so tended to be flexible!
Forenames can be switched around, or shortened. My maternal grandfather & siblings ALL used their middle names on the 1911 census :D
Places of birth can get more general the further away from home the person is.

E.G. I come from a town in North Somerset, Portishead. Working in Europe, and traveling around the globe, I usually tell people I am from Bristol (saves geography lessons), or even simply the West of England.

So stop trying to find exact matches ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Local knowledge can also mean a lot when knowing where and how to search. The advantage with Rootschat is that members are from all over the world with lots of experience in researching different places and subjects.  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Some people can remember more sites and ways to search and bring past search experiences into the moment and are able to rattle off each search option straight away.

Blue

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your thoughts,

Yes I do believe that I have a lot to learn about researching family history. That's why I ask questions so that I can learn.

Thanks again