Author Topic: Terms: Northern Ireland/English Ire - U.S. census images  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Terms: Northern Ireland/English Ire - U.S. census images
« on: Monday 04 December 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
My Wakefield ancestors were born in Ireland, we believe in Tuam, Co. Galway.  I just found two United States census returns.  In 1930, the person (my ancestor's niece) stated (or someone stated) that her parents were born in Northern Ireland.  In 1910, the person stated (or someone stated) that her parents were "English Ire" (I believe that is what was written).

While I know a little bit about Irish history, I don't know enough to determine if Northern Ireland or English Ire might reference Tuam.  Apologies for my lack of knowledge.   :-\   Could either of the terms reference County Galway, please?  Thank you for reading this post, Lisa.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Terms: Northern Ireland/English Ire - U.S. census images
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Until 1921 all Ireland was one country and part of the United Kingdom so the 1910 census means they were born in Ireland but British. After the Partition of Ireland in 1921 only 6 of the 9 counties of Ulster (Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry, Tyrone) remained British and would have been called Northern Ireland.

So, someone born in Co. Galway shouldn't have Northern Ireland as a birthplace but suppose it depends who gave the census details to the enumerator.

Were he people in question born after 1864 (start of birth registration in Ireland) or did they become U.S. citizens?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey:

Thank you very much for your reply and broadening my knowledge.  No, the father was born c1828 in "Ireland".

According to an obituary, my ancestor (Jane, born c1822) was born in Tuam.  I do not have any other confirmation of her birthplace. I have not yet determined where her (several) siblings were born; I have just started to work on their trees.  Jane settled in Ontario, Canada prior to 1860; at this point, I know very little about the Wakefields who remained in America.

Jane's brother Robert, was born c1828, in Ireland.  His daughter, Adah E was born c1864 in New Jersey, USA - she is the person from the two U.S. census returns.  I do not yet know if Robert became an American citizen.

I'm sure I gave too many facts above; just trying to be thorough.  PS  The Wakefields arrived in New York in 1839.  Again, thank you. 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 17 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Except for a brief (a few years) stop in New Jersey for one branch, none of my ancestors lived in America, so I am not too familiar with American census returns.

Looking at a nephew's 1910 (New Jersey) census, he, too, claimed his mother (Jane's sister, Eliza) was Ireland English.  Looking at a few neighbouring pages for this census, it appears that Ireland English could be the country in which they were born but they spoke English.  Other entries on the pages include Germany/German, Sweden/Swedish, Scotland/English, etc.  I was hoping for a lead to confirm the Galway births, but perhaps it is still yet to be found.

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
good morning,

If Jane was Roman Catholic you might find a baptism record on the attached register

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1082

I haven't looked through them.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, ourgang:

Thank you very much for the link; I had not come across it before.  I have a feeling that my Wakefields were not Roman Catholic (based on several reasons), especially if there is a connection between them and other Wakefields in America and in County Galway.  However, I know the maiden name of Jane's mother - perhaps her baptism might be found.  (While I don't believe this line would marry a Roman Catholic, I don't want to rule out the possibility.)

Thank you again for suggesting the link!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
There are some Wakefield's marriage licence bonds in Tuam Dioceses, might see something useful there.
 http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/dm/index.jsp
Only the index survives so don't get over excited if you see a likely looking name.

Also about 19 Wakefield's in Galway in the Applotment books. P
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann:

Thank you for the links.  I actually looked at the National Archives site in the past.  However, I tried again and just looking at the first page of results:
David Wakefield and Eliza Atkinson, marrying in 1818, Diocese of Killaloe.
It looks like Killaloe might be in County Clare?

As I mentioned, I am just starting to research my ancestor's siblings.  One sister, Eliza (mentioned above) married her cousin, Robert Atkinson Wakefield.  He was born c1826, Ireland.  I have not yet determined his parents' names.  Wakefield appears to have been a somewhat common name in Co. Galway; perhaps the above marriage in 1818 was just a coincidence and had nothing to do with Robert Atkinson Wakefield.  [Apologies for the confusing paragraph.]

I will continue to search the site.  I really appreciate your guidance.  Thank you, Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Referring to the "Wakefield Memorial" book, supposedly Robert Atkinson Wakefield was the son of David Wakefield, Aughrim, Ireland.  No mother was mentioned.  Robert was supposedly born "at Aughrim or Ballinasloe, Ireland".

While the book was assembled (I don't remember the exact date, possibly c1895) by a Wakefield who collected family histories from numerous Wakefields, I've caught several errors regarding my Wakefields.  While the book is wonderful, very informative and I am very grateful to be able to refer to it, I am trying to gather actual facts about my Wakefields to support what is included in the book.   :)