Author Topic: Johnston sisters - NZ b. 1913, 10 & 07.  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Johnston sisters - NZ b. 1913, 10 & 07.
« on: Monday 04 December 17 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello again restorers.

You did such a great job on our photo of Annie, would you like to have a go at tinting Annie’s cousins the JOHNSTON sisters.  Born 1913, 1910 & 1907, in New Zealand.

In 1924 a while after their father died from the flu, they and their Mother returned from their Waikato dairy farm, to a small 35 acre farm near her family roots. They had to became very resource full milking a few cows, and keeping bees, and presumably making their own clothes. Both Jim1 and I believe this photo was taken about c 1927.

A big thank you in anticipation.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston sisters - NZ b. 1913, 10 & 07.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
 b&w

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
tinted:

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
 ;)  Colour one
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
A try from me, regards, John.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Once again while I'm sleeping, you all have been creating your magic strokes. Giving new life to 90 yearold photos.

Thank you.

Alan.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
 If it helps with the dating at all, the sister on the right of this photo is wearing a wedding ring.  ::)
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your contribution Pat.

Well spotted, re the wedding ring. Must admit to not having noticed. She did get married in 1927, so now c 1927/28.

A few weeks ago SARAH would not allow me to submit a church picnic photo that was in my archives, as it was a scan, and I could not find the original photo, to be able to prove provenance.

Something I need, if the local Church are going to publish it on the occasion of the 100th year of their church.

The big picnic’s were regularly held, but I could find no on line newspaper account that would verify my late Father’s notation, that it was one held in his neighbours paddock. The one 1916 account I found, I believed was too early, and I could not reconcile elements of the photo, to be able to date it myself. There are approximately 120 people in it.

Digitization of the local newspaper currently ends at 1922.

Eventually I found the photo in 1980’s correspondence. It was sent to me in a packet of some 15 family based photos, to aid our research efforts into a large extended family, complicated by cousins marring cousins, through many generations.

Some photos were notated others not. Known dates ranged from 1929 to my correspondent’s wedding in 1936.

Last week, for reasons stated on the forum, I successfully posted the ANNIE photo from that packet of photos, and privately contacted Jim1 for an opinion on dating.

You did such a great job with the first photo, last night I decided to flick off another of the photos so included. But evidently did not study it too throughly, to notice the ring.

There are living relatives [including some active on RC] that really appreciate what you are able to do with these old heritage photos, from their extended family.

In our area, privately owned [candid] cameras did not come into their own, until after the big depression of the 1930’s, so we cherish those that we do manage to find.

Many thankyou’s.

-   Alan.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
So pleased to be able to help with the dating and with the memories. When working on a photo, especially colouring, you concentrate on each section separately, so it easier to notice things like the ring. It is also good to know Jim1 was spot on with his dating as usual  :D :D :D
If you have any more photos for restoration please post them for us all to help you with. It is better posting them individually as you have done already.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU