Author Topic: Johnston sisters - NZ b. 1913, 10 & 07.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston sisters - NZ b. 1913, 10 & 07.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan...I'm a bit late coming to the party but I started this a few days ago and only just got round to finishing it. Lovely photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 December 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Another slightly different one a little more muted colours.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. All your hard work is appreciated.  Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 December 17 17:58 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure Alan...It would be a good idea to turn off the "Sharpening" facility on your scanner as it produces a white halo effect which is difficult to remove without blurring which results in a loss of detail.
Carol

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 December 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure Alan...It would be a good idea to turn off the "Sharpening" facility on your scanner as it produces a white halo effect which is difficult to remove without blurring which results in a loss of detail.
Carol

Greetings Carol.

Thanks for the advice and apologies for taking so long to get back with my question. Not enough hours in my day at the moment.

My daughter's old CANNON scanner was a wiz with many types of saving options and a range of resolution dpi's from 75 to 600, but with the new computers on 64 bit technology it will not work.

I am now stuck with the scanning bed on my big new HP Office Jet printer (see attached scan of control options) and editing with just the simple PAINT that came with WINDOWS 10 on my HP Pavilion 500, as my old faithful Photo Studio 2000 is no longer copmpatable either. [Both this set up and my previous 2003 XP were presents from a daughter.]

Not being a techno wiz I do not know what the LOW MEDUIN & HIGH compression options mean. Do those controls affect the issue you have raised, and if so which, in your opinion, is the best option?

I'm sure others could be in the same position as myself so any replies would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alan.

PS please keep up your tireless efforts on our behalf. Being interested in researching our pioneers and their pioneering legacy, I appreciate the hours of midnight oil it can consume. Currently voluntarily resourcing material for Editor's of books celebrating both 50 years, and 100+ years.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
The lower the compression the better.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 December 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan...I agree with Andy....Scan at 300dpi in colour mode with the lowest compression setting and save to best quality...As I use an Epson scanner I'm not familiar with your model but there should be a button for preferences where you can turn off the sharpening feature.
Someone may be able to advise you further.
Carol