Author Topic: William MULHOLLAND Isabella DALE  (Read 2579 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
William MULHOLLAND Isabella DALE
« on: Monday 04 December 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I'm needing some expert help.

Armagh, Ireland marriage between William Mulholland (born 1830) and Isabella Dale. I cant find the marriage anywhere.

They had son Joseph (1853) and then Isabella died . I cant find her death record either. William then remarried - Mary Quin and had several children ....I cant find much on them except my on ancestor Mary Ann Mulholland who became Mary Ann Heaney - I'm looking for mary anns birth too.
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM MULHOLLAND ISABELLA DALE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Long shot on marriage to Mary Quin from Family search site ???
(a bit strange due to William and Isabella having a son in 1853)

Groom's Name   William Mulholland
Spouse's Name   Mary Quin
Date   17 Nov 1853
Place    Loughgall, Arm, Ireland
Groom's Father's Name   Samuel Mulholland
Spouse's Father's Name   John Quin

Collison & Watts in Headcorn & Hollingborne (Kent UK) & Michigan (USA)
Kavanagh in Wexford (Eire) Michigan & California (USA)
Salisbury, Burls & Vanstone (UK & Gibraltar)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM MULHOLLAND ISABELLA DALE
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
At the marriage to Mary Quin found by gc1 -- William is shown as a Widower if that helps.

Abode of both the bride and groom 'Derrycrew'.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William MULHOLLAND Isabella DALE
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much

Since I posted I have found out this information. Hopefully some one can expand?

William Mulholland (1830 - ? )  married Mary Quin (1833 - ?) in Ireland

William had been married previously to Isabella Dale who died producing only one son Joseph.
Joseph himself married twice 1st to Ann Eliza Clulow  and had children William James Mulholland and John Mulholland
then 2nd to Ann Dunlop and had 5 children Isabella, Ann, Mary, Joseph and a second William.

Children of William Mulholland and Mary Quin

1861 - John Mulholland  married twice. 1st to Eliza Jackson and had one son Samuel Mulholland - married Agnes Jane Dunlop - Don't know anything else about him.
married 2nd to Jane Donaldson and had 3 sons  James, Joseph and William - William married Janet Geddes and had 1 daughter Sarah Martin Mulholland who married Edward Carey. (his parents were John Carey and Alice Berry)

1861 - Mary Ann Mulholland - Married Hugh Heaney - Shes my bloodline so I have full information on this branch except a confirmed birth date for Mary Ann as I can not find it listed.
1862 - Samuel Mulholland married Elizabeth Haddow - Nothing else known

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Paul -- do you know if the family were RC or Church of Ireland please (or non-conformist!)

I notice the marriage to Mary Quin in 1853 was a Civil Marriage and is on the Irish Civil Registration Index. I couldn't see the preceding marriage to Isabella on that - nor could I see it in RC records (although I might have missed it of course.)
Places of interest;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble fitting some of your 'facts' with the records I can find  :-\

Previous topic- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714056
I've got as far back as 1820's which see's William Mulholland living in Ireland with his wife Isabella Mulholland (Maiden name McPeak)
I have that they had one son in 1828 also called William. I believe he was born in ireland but then moved to Glasgow. He was married to Mary Smith in 1858 - I've posted this marrage certificate previously on here and got help reading the writing. Mary was also from Ireland.

Is the son William born 1828 the same William Mulholland born 1830 in this new topic? If so, wife was Quinn not Smith as posted originally?

William Mulholland and Mary Quinn married 1853 and son Joseph (from 1st marriage) was probably born c1851/2 according to census records which would make sense.
Marriage (1853): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGXG-331

Now for Joseph-
Joseph himself married twice 1st to Ann Eliza Clulow  and had children William James Mulholland and John Mulholland
then 2nd to Ann Dunlop and had 5 children Isabella, Ann, Mary, Joseph and a second William.

Marriage: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11106/8064900.pdf
Marriage: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1886/10833/5951262.pdf
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Portadown_Rural/Baltylum/1028573 (Joseph age 48 so born c1851, Joseph’s wife is Ann Eliza & religion is Christian Brethern)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Portadown_Urban/West_Street/301141 (Joseph age 59 so born c1852, some of the children born Glasgow- Scottish birth certificates should list date and place of parents’ marriage)

I found the birth of a William James Mulholland who looks to be Joseph and Ann's son-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02910/2066028.pdf
However, if this is the correct family then there seems to be a BIG problem- as informant for the child's death was grandmother Isabella Mulholland!
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06442/4851056.pdf

1861 - Mary Ann Mulholland - Married Hugh Heaney - Shes my bloodline so I have full information on this branch except a confirmed birth date for Mary Ann as I can not find it listed.
Can't find her birth listed where? Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificates before that date.

Joseph is listed in 1901 and 1911 as Christian Brethren which means you are unlikely to find any church records online. If Joseph's parents were also Brethren then you will probably have gret difficulty finding the family in church records. In this case it's quite possible marriages (from 1845 onwards) might have taken place in a Registry Office and burials at the Parish (Church of Ireland) Church.

Have you already exhausted ALL possible Scottish records (births, marriages, deaths, census, wills, etc.) for clues?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
When I originally started my tree I wasn't very good at reading the certificates and often got it wrong!

Thank you so much for the information so far. The Isabella Mulholland grandmother has thrown me - I assumed William married Mary Quin because the first wife died but not this information would suggest they separated. I cant find a death for isabella now......

I've exhausted all lines of investigation

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
What amazingly detailed research by Aghadowey.

Paul -- I don't know if you are interested, and please forgive me if you already know this -- but Joseph Mulholland appears on both the 1881 and 1891 Scotland Census records.

In 1881 he is with his first wife (Ann Clulow). She dies in Glasgow in 1885.

He remarried in 1886 - and it was THIS wife whose Christian names were Ann Eliza. Surname Dunlop as you say. As far as I can see at the moment - the first wife was simply 'Ann'.

This family must have moved back to Scotland shortly after their marriage, as a child named Martha was born in 1887 in Glasgow.

I see from the 1911 Ireland Census that Joseph and his second wife apparantly had 10 children -- but 5 died. The Scottish census records may just help you find names of some who didn't survive - just for completeness.
Places of interest;

Offline Popjoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Paul, I wonder if this is our William's first marriage?

Ireland Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866 Transcription

First name(s) William
Last name Mulholland
Year 1840
Diocese Armagh
Spouse's first name(s) Isabella
Spouse's last name Dalzell
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Marriages

Given that, in Scotland, the surname Dalzell is pronounced Dee-ell, I wonder if over time and said with an Irish accent Isabelle's surname has mutated to Dale.

These are all possible children of our William and this list was compiled before I knew about you ancestor.

Eliza, b ? Married 1873, f. William, m. Not named

Isaac b. 1847, f. William m. Not named

Joseph b. Abt 1851 f. William, m. Isabella Dale

Jane b. Abt.1858 f. William, m. Not named

John b. 1861 f. William, m. Mary Quin

Samuel, b. 1862 f. William, m. Mary Quin

John Mulholland and his wife had more children than you have listed.  Two sons named William, two named John, Joseph, James, Mary Jane, Sarah, Annie and Elizabeth - not necessarily in that order.

William Mulholland and Janet Geddes had several children not just Sarah Martin Mulholland.

Samuel Mulholland and Agnes Jeanie Dunlop had quite a few children.

As far as I am aware Samuel Mulholland and Eliza Hadden Wright had no children.  He died in 1915.