Author Topic: George Richard Burgess  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Remove Kebab

• RootsChat Extra
  • The patriarch of the Percy's of NZ. 1797-1864
    • View Profile
George Richard Burgess
« on: Monday 04 December 17 01:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me inregards to the identity of my ancestor, George Richard Burgess. I'll outline below what I know.

He was purportedly born in Whitchurch, Shropshire around 1819, he gives this as his birthplace on the 1851,61 and 71 censuses.

He married Ann Peacock some time prior to 1838, probably in the Stockport region. There is a marriage in Manchester of a George Burgess and an Ann Peacock in 1837, this marriage gives his occupation as a labourer of Didsbury though, and his father as George Burgess a surgeon. He also makes his mark, which seems very odd for a surgeons son, and his later occupations (if this is the correct marriage).

First daughter Sarah Ann is born in Stockport in 1838, followed by a son George in Newcastle, Staffordshire in 1841. The family are resident in Stockport in 1841, but the page is badly damaged

Another child Henry, is born in Sheffield in 1845, he seems to have died young, followed by a son John in Norwich in 1850. The family are lodging in Melton Mowbray on the 1851 census, mistranscribed as "Barges". Georges occupation is now Rope Maker.

The family settle, finally, in Boston Lincs after this, and the remainder of their children, Edwin born 1852, Joseph born 1853, Rosetta born 1857, Alfred born 1858 and Ellen born 1860 were all born here. However Sarah Ann marries in Stepney in 1857, to William Pinder Foster, giving her fathers occupation as Compositor. The two do settle in Boston though by the following year

1861 census gives Georges occupation as Grocer, presumably in partnership with his son in law William. However by 1871 the family has moved to Bethnal Green where George is employed as a Factory Manager. my understanding is that this was probably a Laundry Blue factory.

The following year George, Ann and the younger children all emigrate to New Zealand, Auckland specifically. I have the New Zealand lives of George and Ann reasonably well mapped, and the lives of their children who did emigrate as well (all bar George jr who disappears subsequent to the 1861 census). Both George and Ann died in 1892, neither left a will that went to probate.

The identities of George and his wife remain enigmas though, there is a family of Burgess's in Whitchurch but from a perusal of their wills there are no stray George's.

Also the constant change of occupations, and the incredibly varied locations for the birth of their children have caused confusion.

One thing to note is that I have been unable to find a single baptism for any of the children, possibly they were dissenters?

If this would be more suitable on another board feel free to move it, but the only constant in his life is his birthplace so I thought Shropshire would be the best place for it.

Thanks in advance and apologies for any errors, im typing this from memory on an ipad which is far from ideal.

Percy/Pursey. Taunton, Sherborne in Uk. Wairarapa/Hutt
Carlyon: Cornwall/NZ (of Tregrehan)
Cox: North Leigh Oxd, Pahiatua
Burcher: Forest of Dean/Newport/NZ
Foster: Lincolnshire to NZ (esp Pinder Foster)
Jewitt: Ulceby, Eketahuna
Cundy: Cornwall, Hutt/Featherston
Smith: Westwell, Wellington
Smith: Grantham, Goombungee, NZ
Bell: South Kirkby
Harriss: Chevington
Ransome: Surrey?
Munro: Akaroa to Tinui

Moss, Rodaway, Burgess, Milne, Yule and assorted others as well.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Richard Burgess
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 05:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth of a Henry Burgess in Sheffield in 1845 on the GRO Birth Index which confirms the mothers maiden name as Peacock so the marriage looks good

HENRY   BURGESS     Mothers Maiden Name PEACOCK   
GRO Ref: 1845  June Qrtr in SHEFFIELD  Vol 22  Page 610

Kay

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Burgess. baptised 13 Aug 1854, St Botolph, Boston, Lincs. father George, mother Ann.

Edwin Burgess.  baptised 13 Aug 1854, St Botolph, Boston, Lincs. father George, mother Ann.
Register note    Joseph and Edwin Burgess both baptized the same day.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 17 07:06 GMT (UK) »
George Richard Burgess is in many public (and private) trees on Ancestry.

Suggest you try and contact some of the tree owners for further discussions to share information.

Offline Remove Kebab

• RootsChat Extra
  • The patriarch of the Percy's of NZ. 1797-1864
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 17 08:57 GMT (UK) »
George Richard Burgess is in many public (and private) trees on Ancestry.

Suggest you try and contact some of the tree owners for further discussions to share information.

Most of these trees are painfully inccurate and all seem to have the same information, my tree has about the most accurate information out of any i've seen thus far. No one has any details prior, about his birth or parentage.

Quite happy to contact anyone with any real info, but considering research on this family has been underway for decades by the looks of things one would have thought if anyone did know it would have trickled its way into the public domain by now.

There is a birth of a Henry Burgess in Sheffield in 1845 on the GRO Birth Index which confirms the mothers maiden name as Peacock so the marriage looks good

HENRY   BURGESS     Mothers Maiden Name PEACOCK   
GRO Ref: 1845  June Qrtr in SHEFFIELD  Vol 22  Page 610

Kay

This is where I got the maiden name from, but proving this is the right marriage when they both have common names and seemed to have wanderlust is difficult, there is no further connection to any of the places involve in that marriage for one. Too many presumptions and I really dont like the illiteracy factor.

Joseph Burgess. baptised 13 Aug 1854, St Botolph, Boston, Lincs. father George, mother Ann.

Edwin Burgess.  baptised 13 Aug 1854, St Botolph, Boston, Lincs. father George, mother Ann.
Register note    Joseph and Edwin Burgess both baptized the same day.

Really Appreciate this, presume this is from a transcription? Occupation would be interesting.
Percy/Pursey. Taunton, Sherborne in Uk. Wairarapa/Hutt
Carlyon: Cornwall/NZ (of Tregrehan)
Cox: North Leigh Oxd, Pahiatua
Burcher: Forest of Dean/Newport/NZ
Foster: Lincolnshire to NZ (esp Pinder Foster)
Jewitt: Ulceby, Eketahuna
Cundy: Cornwall, Hutt/Featherston
Smith: Westwell, Wellington
Smith: Grantham, Goombungee, NZ
Bell: South Kirkby
Harriss: Chevington
Ransome: Surrey?
Munro: Akaroa to Tinui

Moss, Rodaway, Burgess, Milne, Yule and assorted others as well.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you also contacted the private tree owners?

Quote:
 'one would have thought if anyone did know it would have trickled its way into the public domain by now.'

Have you not answered your own question?

Illegitimate?

Have you looked up newspapers reports of his death, just in case some family history was provided?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
1854 Baptism of Joseph/Edwin is on FreeREG, Fathers Occp Labourer.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Is there no information on George/Anns NZ Death Certs as to their Parents?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I was going to ask that, then looked at wrong information and thought they did not.

Yes, the death certificates should say:

'Deaths post 1875: when and where died; name and surname; sex; age; rank or profession; cause of death; duration of last illness; medical attendant who certified the cause of death and when they last saw the deceased; name and surname of father; name and maiden name (if known) of the mother; rank or occupation of the father; when and where buried; name and religion of minister or name of witness to the burial; where born; how long in New Zealand; where married; age at marriage; name of spouse; children (including number, age and sex of living children); signature, description and residence of the informant; date registered; and signature of the deputy registrar.'