Author Topic: Photo ID?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo ID?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Jim  :D ...you are so lucky to have them Guy  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Jim, your knowledge seems to show that the two images 4 & 5 are very likely to be different ladies.
I did wonder if they were younger images of Mary Anne Hickling image 3 but it seems likely now that one may be but possible the other or even both is/are Mary's sisters (she had 5 sisters and 4 would fit in with a photo taken in the 1840s or very early 50s.
Your dating also seems to show the two images 4 & 5 were taken before Mary's marriage in 1858.
Thank you.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the clothes or hair for images 4 & 5.

Yes Carol, it seems to stem from my interest in family history that I keep being giving items from the estate of relatives when their houses are cleared after their deaths.

I have all sorts from valuable items that have to be kept in the bank through a silver plated trowel presented to a great aunt and her husband who paid for a Baptist Church to be built through samplers made by ancestors as schoolgirls, a miniature oar given to crewmen of an Oxford boat and photos such as these daguerreotypes and ambrotypes and a weight lifting medal my grandfather won in New Zealand and two books he wrote.
Every item means so much to me, even a book written about my eldest brother's father (a well known horseman) in which the author was not very complimentary about my mother who left him for my father is precious to me.
That may seem strange, but I have also been left the letters he wrote to my mother and the letters she wrote to him for many years after their separation their affection for each other even though they were not suited to each other.

All these artifacts are a window into my ancestors lives and I hope one of my sons (or perhaps my grandaughter) might carry one being the family historian when it is my turn to depart. ;)

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
OK. Dress & hairstyles were pretty much the same in the 1840's & 50's so the only dating is whether they are Dag's or Ambro's.
Highly unlikely you will see a Dag as late as 1858 as the cost was greater than an Ambro & were discontinued soon after their introduction.
However the 2 ladies are wearing rings that (on a least one) appear to be wedding rings.
As these images were in reverse the ring looks to be on the wrong hand as you can see in pic.4.
however again I have seen these were the wedding ring has been placed on the right hand to make it look correct as in pic. 5.
So at least one of these ladies is married, possibly both.
Hands on confirmation that they are Daguerreotypes will help although from what you say they appear to be.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
What an idiot I am Jim, I never even thought the images were reversed, or flipped.
Having read your post I opened the images in Photoshop and flipped them horizontally and the postures look far more natural and as you say the hands are now on the right side.

The number of times I have read about the images being negatives and I never really thought of the consequences.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
They're are not negatives, they're positives as the media the image is on was that placed in the camera that's why they are reversed.
If you've reversed them digitally it's best to put that info on them.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 December 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I totally agree any manipulation of images needs to be recorded.
I when I save the "new" images on my computer will add that they have been digitally flipped horizontally, I also save the original images.
Cheers
Guy

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 December 17 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I print it on the image that way anyone seeing it will know.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.