Author Topic: I need someone who likes a challenge!  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I need someone who likes a challenge!
« on: Monday 04 December 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at my family tree for some years and have recently been thrown a total curve ball in that the three closest relatives showing via DNA testing have no connection with my known tree at all.

They are all female and I’ll call us Jane, Evelyn, Kylie, and Penny. I’ll be Jane. The other three all have the same line in their tree, I’ll call that Smith.  Edwin Smith is in all their trees, for Kylie he is her 4 x great-grandfather.  For Evelyn & Penny he is their 3 x great-grandfather.  He had eleven children and each of these three come down from a different child.  So I’m thinking I have to be a descendant of one of the other eight, and probably a male (see later).

Using all the other DNA connections I have, I’ve managed to exclude quite a few of my other lines.  In fact I’m now JUST left with my father’s line.  From a lot of questioning of old family members I think the “culprit” is another of those children who seems to have had an ongoing affair with my late grandmother.  I'm not 100% sure it was the one I have my eye on but he's the prime suspect.  I’ll call him Edgar Smith.  They lived directly across the road from each other.  As my father and his older brother were as alike as twins I’m imagining it involves him too, and his daughter is also taking the test to see if she fits in the puzzle too. I’ve been unable to trace any other children Edgar had.  There was a son killed in WW1 and a daughter whose line seems to have disappeared after marrying and having one daughter.  So there is not really anyone there to help.

I have done a One to One compare via Gedmatch.  On the charts below the first figure is the actual amount of DNA match, then the longest DNA thread in that match, then the generational difference, then the X specifies X DNA or not.  Only Evelyn has the X DNA link with me, although I have no idea why at the moment.

This is my DNA connection to Evelyn, whose ancestor is a daughter of Edwin
148.6   32.1   3.3       X   22.2   7.9

To Penny it is this, her ancestor is a son to Edwin
146.6   37.6   3.3       X   0   0

And to Kylie it is this, her link is also a son of Edwin's
70.6   21.5   3.8       X   0   0

Evelyn and Penny are the same generation, Kylie is another generation away and I am in fact the closest to Edwin if my reasoning is correct.

Just as another point, if I compare us all with each other, there does not seem to be any DNA link from Evelyn to Kylie and I just can’t see how that can be the case when we can see the links via the trees and we are all closely linked otherwise.  If Edgar (or any of the other sons) is my grandfather (making Edwin my great-grandfather) then obviously I’m nearer to him in relationship terms than any of the other three.

Can anyone think of any other tests I can try to see if I can prove my point that this has to be my ancestor please?   Or come up with other theories?  I'm sure there are people out there who are more au fait with this than me!

Offline McGFam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: I need someone who likes a challenge!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Im not a DNA expert although I have helped my friend find her biological father through ancestry and I found my own great x3 grans maiden name so I thought I might add my two cents.

If you match on the X chromosome then you have not inherited it through your fathers father.

Youve inherited your X genes from both your mother's parents and your fathers mother. Search an X chromosome inheritance chart and you'll understand better.

The link would also exclude Edwin's paternal grandfather but not his parental grandmother or maternal grandparents or even his wife's parents?

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that input.  I must admit it's the X chromosome which is confusing me.  Obviously our connection is via the Smith family somewhere.  As I see it, the ONLY other option (and one which would work through with the X chromosome chain) is my father's mother's mother.  She was illegitimate so I have no idea of her ancestry, although she lived in a town some distance away.  She seems to have made up a father's name for her marriage certificate - her mother appears never to have married and kept the same name throughout.

I'm sure I read somewhere it's possible to approach an expert to analyse your DNA results and draw conclusions.  Does anyone have info on that please?

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 17 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I think the X match is a red herring.  I have 196 total cm 196 largest cM with my Mum and significantly lesser amounts with other people who are possibly not related at all.

After my Mum I have a large number of X matches between 10 and 25 cM, most of which mean nothing to me.  However I have a couple of X matches with people I know to be on my father's paternal side, so that can only be coincidence.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 17 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Any living males from this line? A small YDNA test could give matches with the suspected surname. Your father, his brother, your brother, etc.

Happy to help try to find the family of the missing daughter, I like a good mystery.

PM me the kit numbers if you'd like, I'd be curious to check out the alignments myself.