Author Topic: Ancestry or find my past  (Read 1304 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ancestry or find my past
« on: Monday 04 December 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I am being bought a gift subscription, but I am unsure which site will be best for my purposes, i know they are both great sites in their own right. Baring in mind that the majority of my research will be in england specifically Norfolk.  Can anone recommend which would be best for me. Ancestry or Find my past?  :-\ :-\

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry or find my past
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Lots of threads have asked that same question. 

My own preference is for ancestry.  Shop around - it was possible to get yearly ancestry subscriptions recently - UK premium for £59-99 and worldwide for £89-99  :D

Find My Past have had many, many offers this year - 1 months access for £1. Understandably this makes those people with a yearly subscription rather annoyed.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
You could always take up the two weeks free trial and see which one suits you best before deciding on which to go for. Just don't forget to cancel before the two weeks are up.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
...and find out if either is available in your local library - then get the one that isn't!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
You could always take up the two weeks free trial and see which one suits you best before deciding on which to go for. Just don't forget to cancel before the two weeks are up.

Emeltom

This is a very sensible idea, why did i not think of it lol

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
On FindMyPast anyone can perform searches and view the result sets, which will usually  include name, date and place.  You need the registration and subscription to view the full transcript and image (if there is one).

So start your research now.  If you find a lot of results where you think, "that record looks like mine, I want to see the image for that", then you'll have your answer.

Also on FindMyPast, go to Search/A-Z of record sets.  Put "Norfolk" in as the search term.  See what record sets come up.  Do they look promising for the dates and places of interest?  Do they have images or just transcripts?

You can do something similar on Ancestry.  The record sets are listed in the Card Catalogue.

I'm rusty on what comes up on Ancestry search results when you aren't registered/subscribed.  As I recall, they are less informative, with date and place hidden.

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
...and find out if either is available in your local library - then get the one that isn't!

I had no idea libraries did this, you learn something every day, i shsll look into this as soon as i can thanks

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Lots of threads have asked that same question. 

My own preference is for ancestry.  Shop around - it was possible to get yearly ancestry subscriptions recently - UK premium for £59-99 and worldwide for £89-99  :D

Find My Past have had many, many offers this year - 1 months access for £1. Understandably this makes those people with a yearly subscription rather annoyed.

Sandra

I can see why this would annoy, i noticed an offer but it had expired before i coukd benefit from it, i could wait for another but I am really not that patient lol

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
On FindMyPast anyone can perform searches and view the result sets, which will usually  include name, date and place.  You need the registration and subscription to view the full transcript and image (if there is one).

So start your research now.  If you find a lot of results where you think, "that record looks like mine, I want to see the image for that", then you'll have your answer.

Also on FindMyPast, go to Search/A-Z of record sets.  Put "Norfolk" in as the search term.  See what record sets come up.  Do they look promising for the dates and places of interest?  Do they have images or just transcripts?

You can do something similar on Ancestry.  The record sets are listed in the Card Catalogue.

I'm rusty on what comes up on Ancestry search results when you aren't registered/subscribed.  As I recall, they are less informative, with date and place hidden.
i have done research with both a long time ago, but the more they make available the less you can see without a subscription now, least tgats how it appears to me..
Mustnt complain, the work involved in transcribing all these records has to be paid for somehow.