Author Topic: What's the difference between the various types of computer processor?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What's the difference between the various types of computer processor?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Preaching to the converted Bob.  It's why my important data is on portable HDDs (and I even back THEM up!)

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Jane, I see you are analysing your problem in a scientific manner so you may not need further help but I would certainly encourage you to try other browsers for comparison, and I agree with Angus' first suggestion re an adblocker although we are discouraged from using it on RC  ;)

If you are considering a new PC in the next year or so it might not be worth upgrading RAM, etc on your old one, especially if you have to pay someone else to do it. A quick search suggests you might spend in the region of £100 or more for 8GB. I bought my extra RAM secondhand and installed it myself. Much will depend on the age and specification of the old machine of course.

Mike.

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for their input.

Yesterday I didn't do as much as I sometimes do on the computer and after my "first thing" post here I avoided IE11.  It seemed to behave itself.

Going back to the RAM question, yesterday I called in at a local independent computer repair shop.  Getting an estimate of what sort of money I could be talking for upgrading RAM was like pulling teeth!  Terribly complicated you know, depends on my computer, bring it in for us to look at.  No chance, I think the reason it has done so well so far is that teenagers have never been allowed near it!  He gestured at some RAM he had for sale, it doesn't look as I imagined at all.  About 40 (not possible, I'm only 21) Many years ago I worked somewhere that used EPROMs (erasable programmable read only memory), they used to cling to people's woolly jumpers (shetland was all the rage) like teasels and would be taken home inadvertently.  They were also terribly sensitive to static.  That's what I though RAM looked like.

Buoyed by Mike's post and the fact that I wouldn't be dealing with tiny components that would need a soldering iron and tweezers to manipulate I decided to look into the DIY approach.  From an online retailer which brands itself the UK's No 1 memory supplier it will cost me significantly less than the estimate I was given to double the RAM (Mike was in the right ball park), not least because I can add to what I have rather than replace it as it turns out I have 2 spare slots (to be fair the computer man wouldn't have known this).  I'm not confident enough to save even more money by buying second hand, but I am confident I'll be ordering the right product from this particular retailer because they have a comprehensive look-up table which lists the exact same model as my computer.  I've watched their video.  Compared with flat pack furniture it's a doddle.

So that will be my New Year present to myself if the issue hasn't been resolved by then by other, cheaper means.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Jane, I sent you a PM but have just had a further thought about RAM. You need to check which version of Windows you are using as some versions cannot use more than 4GB. Information here:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/windows-7-ram-requirements-how-much-memory-do-i-need/

I wouldn't want to encourage you to waste your money  :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Yippee I could push the boat out and go for 16 (I probably won't but I might split the difference at 12 if Santa is kind this year)  :D

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
There are two versions of Windows Vista/8/10, depending on what you are using?
32bit or the 64bit version.
32bit can only use up to @3Mb of memory, 64bit can use 16Mb or more.
So any more than 4Mb on a 32bit is a waste, 8Mb is ideal for an intense used 64bit PC.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 December 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
There are two versions of Windows Vista/8/10, depending on what you are using?
32bit or the 64bit version.
32bit can only use up to @3Mb of memory, 64bit can use 16Mb or more.
So any more than 4Mb on a 32bit is a waste, 8Mb is ideal for an intense used 64bit PC.
 Brian

Just to be absolutely pedantic, Mb means Megabit which is more likely to be the measured speed of your broadband connection rate.

MB means Megabyte and is a measure of RAM, hard drive storage capacity, etc. I know you likely meant to type GB rather than MB anyway.

But fair point on the memory addressing limitations of 32 bit operating systems, having been with a 64 bit system for three years or so it's something I do tend to forget about.

Jane - There's a utility from the crucial website (maybe that's the one you already used?) which will show you the current RAM configuration and suggest potential upgrades. I don't suggest you buy from their recommendations directly, but it will detail the specification you need. Armed with that info, you can then select the retailer of your choice (or auction site if you want to go down the second-hand route) if you choose to upgrade assuming you do have a 64 bit edition.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Correction accepted! :D
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 December 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Update - I've increased the RAM
Ordered Boxing Day
Got text around 9:30 yesterday morning telling me it had been despatched
Arrived in today's post
Disconnected computer and took to kitchen where there's good light and room to work
Followed instructions about opening up computer, after discharging any static and earthing myself.
Faced with the unexpected - DVD drive obstructing access to memory slots - YT to the rescue.  That's when a second online device is useful.
Gave computer a light hoover (didn't touch anything)
Fitted memory - there's a satisfying click when they go "home" but the process did make my fingers a bit sore temporarily
Put it back together
Plugged in, booted successfully, ran scan tool to confirm it was recognising new RAM
Up and running
Only casualty one broken finger nail.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON