Author Topic: Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland  (Read 3338 times)

Offline blackenbauer114

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
« on: Monday 04 December 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on a town called Glack.  The address I have says Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland.  I have found Kirkmichael and Banffshire but I can not find anything of Glack.  Has anyone ever heard of this town?  Is it now incorporated into another larger town?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Glack is not uncommon as a place name. In Aberdeenshire they are usually referred to as "The Glack". It comes from the Gaelic glac, meaning a hollow between hills.

It will most likely be a small croft. You should go to the National Library of Scotland maps website and look at the early large scale Ordnance Survey maps of the area.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. If the souce you have describes Glack as a 'town', it is 'town' in the sense of a single farm or croft, as GR2 says, not in the modern sense. There is no town or village called Glack in the parish of Kirkmichael, and the only village in the parish is Tomintoul which was founded in the 1770s IIRC.

I looked at https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/, but while there are places called Glack in six parishes in Banffshire - Aberlour, Botriphnie, Cabrach, Grange, Inveravon and Mortlach - none are listed in the parish of Kirkmichael. The Glacks listed in Inveravon are all in references to names of people who have provided information for the Name Book.

What is the date of the document that contains it, where did you find it, and what, exactly, is the wording? Better still, post an extract from the document here so that we can take a look at it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline blackenbauer114

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, it's not a document that I found the info from.  It was on another researchers tree and I don't know where they got the info from.  They have it as the place of birth for several children in the family.  I think I will just put down that they were born in Kirkmichael, Banffshire and leave the Glack off seeing as it can't be found.  At least until I can find some kind of source that gives the name of the town.

Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.
Beverly

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, it's not a document that I found the info from.  It was on another researchers tree and I don't know where they got the info from.  They have it as the place of birth for several children in the family.  I think I will just put down that they were born in Kirkmichael, Banffshire and leave the Glack off seeing as it can't be found.  At least until I can find some kind of source that gives the name of the town.
Very wise decision! It's never a good idea to trust a tree you find online.

But let's see if we can get to the bottom of it.

What are the names and dates of the people involved?

You might like to have a look at this, which will give you some idea what the parish was like
http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/parish/Banff/Kirkmichael
I've just been re-reading the 1794 account, and it is very entertaining.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found your Glack.

See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.3017&lon=-3.2639&layers=5&b=1
and http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ2324

However this farm/croft lies in the parish of Inveravon, not in the parish of Kirkmichael. In order to confirm that it is the right place, we really need to look for the source of the information you found online.

To do this we need to know the names and dates of the people you are interested in.

Offline blackenbauer114

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
The other researcher (family tree that said Glack) had no sources what so ever.  They just had a map picture with the name Glack on it but it did not show the county.  (I have attached the picture I copied) She has it labeled "Glack in Kirkmichael".  It's hard to read but there is a name to the right that says Nethertown, a name under the word Glack says Pootwick or Footwick and a name above Glack that says Allanreid. Other names on the map are Glenlivel, Tullich, and Whitefolds.

I couldn't pull up a Nethertown. 
Allanread comes up as a  ruined farmsteading situated near the banks of the River Livet (Canmore). Glenlivel comes up as the Battle of Glenlivet 1594 near Allanreid and Morinsh.
Glenlivet is the glen in the Scottish Highlands through which the River Livet flows (doesn't list a county). 
Whitefolds comes up as Whitefolds Farm, a prospering Scottish red meat industry and Whitefold Wood, Perth and Kinross. The Gazetteer for Scotland - Moray, lists a Whitefold.
Pootwick or footwick pulled up nothing.
Tullich is a village in Aberdeenshire, Scotland (The Battle of Tullich, in 1652).

The family I have been researching is Fraser.

Father: William Fraser b. 1767 Scotland d. pos Banffshire, Scotland
Mother: Marjery McKenzie b. 1768 Scotland d. pos Banffshire, Scotland

Children:
Isobel Fraser b. 1786 Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
John Fraser b. 1789 Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
Helen Fraser b. 1792 Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
Margaret Fraser b. 1794 Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
James Fraser b. 1801 Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland

They all died in Keith, Banffshire, Scotland.

I have found birth registrations for 4 of the 5 children.  They list the place of birth as Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland. No mention of Glack so again I have no idea where this other person got the name Glack from.

I know that I have found other family member's death certs that have listed the name of the farm they lived on but they also list the city or county so I am thinking, like suggested, that Glack is just a reference to a location within Kirkmichael (ie. Farm or Croft) and not a town. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The other researcher (family tree that said Glack) had no sources what so ever.  They just had a map picture with the name Glack on it but it did not show the county.  (I have attached the picture I copied) She has it labeled "Glack in Kirkmichael".  It's hard to read but there is a name to the right that says Nethertown, a name under the word Glack says Pootwick or Footwick and a name above Glack that says Allanreid. Other names on the map are Glenlivel, Tullich, and Whitefolds.
Yes, that is the place I found.

I couldn't pull up a Nethertown
It's marked on the First Edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map as Nethertown of Achdregnie, and it is on the first map I sent you in my earlier post. Nethertown was still there on maps published in the early 20th century, but it had disappeared by the late 1940s.

Allanread comes up as a  ruined farmsteading situated near the banks of the River Livet (Canmore). Glenlivel comes up as the Battle of Glenlivet 1594 near Allanreid and Morinsh.
Glenlivet is the glen in the Scottish Highlands through which the River Livet flows (doesn't list a county).
It's all in Banffshire.

Whitefolds comes up as Whitefolds Farm, a prospering Scottish red meat industry and Whitefold Wood, Perth and Kinross. The Gazetteer for Scotland - Moray, lists a Whitefold.
There are places called Whitefold(s) in several different counties. I think you can safely disregard that one. Your one is about two miles north-east of Glack.

Pootwick or footwick pulled up nothing.
It's Poolwick, and it is, or rather was, just a few hundred yards from Glack. It is on the first map I sent you in my earlier post.

Tullich is a village in Aberdeenshire, Scotland (The Battle of Tullich, in 1652).
True, but there are probably dozens of places called Tullich or Tulloch in Scotland. The one you are looking for is about a mile north-west of Glack. See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.3054&lon=-3.2788&layers=5&b=1 - Tullich is at upper left, Allanreid upper right, Achdregnie, Nethertown, Glack and Poolwick at lower right. If you click on the map and drag it down and to the left you will see where your Whitefolds is.

The family I have been researching is Fraser.
They all died in Keith, Banffshire, Scotland.
What evidence do you have to show that the Frasers who died in Keith are the ones born in Kirkmichael?

I have found birth registrations for 4 of the 5 children.
When you say you have found birth registrations, what exactly have you found? Have you seen images of original images of the baptisms, or have you just seen transcriptions or indexes?

I know that I have found other family member's death certs that have listed the name of the farm they lived on but they also list the city or county so I am thinking, like suggested, that Glack is just a reference to a location within Kirkmichael (ie. Farm or Croft) and not a town.
I already sent you two maps, besides the one above, that show you exactly where Glack is. Did you actually look at them?

I have assured you that there is not, and never has been, a town in the modern sense of a built-up-area with a population numbered in thousands, in the parish of Kirkmichael. Glack is a single farm or croft in Glen Livet, a couple of hundred yards from the River Livet. It is not, however, in the parish of Kirkmichael; it is in the neighbouring parish of Inveravon.

Offline blackenbauer114

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 December 17 03:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry if you misunderstood me.  I was not trying to argue that there was a town named Glack in Kirkmichael.  I was just stating what info I had.  You asked about my sources.  The info I had only said Kirkmichael, the info about Glack was from another researcher who had no sources but the map I sent you.

I included the map I had found on the other person's family tree so you could see what I was looking at.  I had already said that I was taking the name "Glack" off my records because you told me there was no place called Glack in Kirkmichael.

Yes, I looked at your maps, thank you for sending them.  I did believe you when you told me there was no Glack in Kirkmichael. 

The genealogical evidence I have for this family are baptism records, Scotland Censuses for various years, marriage registrations, and death registrations. 

Again, thank you for your help.