Author Topic: Is 3-4 years date difference too much?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is 3-4 years date difference too much?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
William married to Ann Campbell was bc.1828-1830 Halkirk (depending on which census you view) and has to be the William bp.13/7/1827 Halkirk, son of James Miller and Isabel Bain.

He followed the Scottish naming tradition of naming his first son after his own father, and daughter Isabella born 1861 (with her brother James Campbell Miller in 1881) married in 1881 as Isabella Bain Miller which I think kind of clinches it.

When William died 1/1/1884 he is shown as agricultural labourer (not quite a farmer!), confirms his marriage to Ann Campbell, his parents confirmed as James Miller, shoemaker (deceased) and Isabella Miller, nee Bain (deceased) - informant was son James Campbell, of 16 Lincolns Inn Fields, London WC. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Death certificates for both William and Ann are included on a tree on Ancestry. Ann died on 23rd Feb 1884 and seems to have met a sad end. She was killed by a train. Her parents are given as David Campbell, Farmer and Elizabeth Campbell nee Forbes. Neither are shown as deceased. James was also the informant of his mother's death with the same Lincolns Inn Field address. There is no cause of death on William's death certificate but there does look to be a register of corrected entries ref against the death which may show more. Have had a quick look on the newspaper archive, but no obvious news entry re the railway death. There is a gravestone in Halkirk Cemetery erected by James in memory of his parents
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for my family ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone,

After a quick reading of everything here, it looks like I might have to reassess what I have. I'll go through everything here and reply with my thoughts when I'm able, recovering from an operation so have plenty of time.

Thanks again

Matt

:)
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
You say in one of your other threads that you have access to Ancestry. If you search under  Public Member Trees using the search James Campbell Miller with spouse Mary Martha Corrie you will find a number of trees with contain enough information to take you back several generations from James and Mary Martha.
Similarly searching under Public member Trees for Norman Errol Miller will bring up several trees which show him to be the son of William Corrie Miller. At least one of the trees contains a copy of William Corrie Miller's birth certificate which will lead you back to the above James Campbell Miller and Mary Martha Corrie.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »

Was his wife Helen Cairns ?
http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=799105008

ev

Hi ev,

I'm not sure what his wife's maiden name was, how did you come up with Cairns?

Thanks

Matt
Borlands from Scotland, Hiltons from England & Platts from England at this stage. Have others to look for as well at some stage :)

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
You say in one of your other threads that you have access to Ancestry. If you search under  Public Member Trees using the search James Campbell Miller with spouse Mary Martha Corrie you will find a number of trees with contain enough information to take you back several generations from James and Mary Martha.
Similarly searching under Public member Trees for Norman Errol Miller will bring up several trees which show him to be the son of William Corrie Miller. At least one of the trees contains a copy of William Corrie Miller's birth certificate which will lead you back to the above James Campbell Miller and Mary Martha Corrie.
Isobel

Hi Isobel,

I do not have paid membership and when I click on various links to piblic trees I am unable to go any further. Due to financial restraints at the moment this won't be changing for any sites that ask for money.

We are moving soon and the place we are going to has a family history area that is apparantly very helpful so will hopefully make use of that.

Thanks

Matt

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Looks like you are actually looking for information on James Campbell Miller born in Halkirk, Caithness  around 1851. He married Mary Martha Corrie in London in 1880 with father given as William Miller, Farmer. He was possibly  the son born 19/9/1851 to William Miller and Ann Campbell ( who can be found on 1861 census with a number of children including James). I note his 1924 Australian death certificate gives parents as William and Annie. If this is the right family group then William the father was born around 1827 ( not 1815).
Isobel

So as I've mentioned and thought after reading all this then maybe Helen is the wrong woman, I'm starting from scratch on my wife's side of the family as her father isn't much help. I only had her grandparent's from the local cemetery which gave me a starting point.

Thanks

Matt

Offline RedWolf0502

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;
15 Nov 1850, Church of Scotland, Thurso, Caithness
William MILLER of Thurso Parish
Ann CAMPBELL of Latheron Parish
(FreeREG)

1851 in Thurso we have;
William Miller, 23, Head, Salmon Fisher, born Halkirk
Ann Miller, 22, Spouse

Christening;
JAMES Miller, 3 Nov 1851 Thurso
Birth 19 Sept 1851
Parents William Miller and Ann Campbell
(Familysearch.Org)
Siblings Births in Halkirk;
ALEXANDER 17 April 1855   
WILLIAM 5 June 1856
DONALD 30 July 1858
ISABELLA    2 June 1861   
ELIZABETH 27 January 1863
MARY LARNACH 7 February 1866, Death 15 September 1871
ROBERT 13 October 1868   
HELEN CAMPBELL 25 February 1871 (Ellen C in 1871 Census)

1881 Census James Sister Isabella is with him and his Wife Mary in London.

Isabella marries 1881 in London to George Daniel Baker, her Father is William a Farmer.
James Campbell Miller is a Marriage witness.
George is a Policeman like James.

Trish :)

Thank you for the detailed information Trish

Matt

:)