Author Topic: Thomas Henry Cunningham - Born Manchester UK c1837, died 1915 Bairnsdale Vic Aus  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Hi,

Seeking confirmation of birth details and / or British Navy service record for my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Henry Cunningham (THC).

Alexander Sutherland, author of reference book, "Victoria and it Metropolis 1888" noted THC, as quoting he was from Manchester in Lancashire. The only "Thomas Cunningham" I have found that comes close to details of our THC, is one 5 year old living at Ancoats, son of Peter and Frances Cunningham, in the 1941 Census. Any confirmed info regarding his possible parentage or siblings would be greatly appreciated.

According to 3 late and elderly Cunningham relatives interviewed about 20 years ago in Australia, all confirmed the same folklore / story, that THC served in the British Navy at quite a young age, apparently jumped ship on the east coast of Australia, probably at or near Eden in New South Wales, and began a family with Margaret Murphy from Kiandra, Snowy River, before they married at Bombala NSW in 1866. The 3 Cunningham relics all confirmed that THC's British Navy sword mysteriously disappeared from his farm at Upper Tambo Vic, shortly after he passed away in 1915 at Bairnsdale Victoria. Any info regarding THC serving in the British Navy between around 1851 and 1864 would also be appreciated.

Warm Regards
Mixo Sydenham
Ellinbank Victoria
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Cunningham - Born Manchester UK c1837, died 1915 Bairnsdale Vic Aus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes you can find notices in Government Gazettes or Police Gazettes, when people jumped ship.  Especially if it was RN.  Have you looked in those places? 
They should be available at your state library though from your postcode I gather you are not near that?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Cunningham - Born Manchester UK c1837, died 1915 Bairnsdale Vic Aus
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 07:23 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate, 1866, should ask for details of the bride and grooms origins.

What does it record for age, place of birth, names of parents. That would assist in finding him before his presence in Bombala.

You could do a google search to see which RN  ranks would be issued with a sword.......officers?

Ceremonial only, at mid 19th century.........? 

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 08:46 GMT (UK) »
From Family Search 1841:- Thomas Cunningham, age 5, born Lancashire, living with  Peter and Francis Cunningham (parents?), both born Ireland,  at Hewitt's Court and Buildings,  Manchester.

In the same household:- John, aged 2
Births registered in Manchester 1838:- June quarter.  John Cunningham (Mother's maiden name McCowliff)       
                                                                     September quarter. John Cunningham (mmn Craig)                       

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Merchant Navy certificate 19 Oct 1850
Thomas Cunningham
born Manchester 12th Aug 1835
boy
height growing
can write -no
Register ticket 507.306

Also
Thomas Cunningham  trip  on Beatitude to S?'land.
Born Manchester age 16 in 22nd Sept 1853 .

That's all I can see

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Me again
That family you found
Peter Cunningham bach weaver married Frances Craig spins at Manchester Cathedral 5.12.1825.
Only witness Patrick Mitchell

possible death/burial Francis Cunningham age 33 1/2/1842 Man cath of Blackely st

GRO children John Sep 1838 and Peter Sep 1841.

Looks like brother Charles  age 18 transported for 7 years 25/6/1845 fro robbing a dwelling house.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all posters.
Thanks for your time, input and leads.
Am a long way from State Library re RN records, but will search Gazettes online.
Presbyterian Marriage record of Thomas and Margaret in 1866, only has his name, marital status of bachelor, and job being a pound collector with cattle.
I have some copies of THCs diary of 1871 when he worked managing a timber felling crew near Swan Reach. Perhaps he learnt to write at sea or after he jumped ship in NSW.
Thank you all
Mixo Sysenham
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
and more at

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 December 17 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Merchant Navy certificate 19 Oct 1850
Thomas Cunningham
born Manchester 12th Aug 1835
boy
height growing
can write -no
Register ticket 507.306

Ciderdrinker

Hi again Ciderdrinker,

Been a while.

Would love to know where you found the above reference, as I would say it relates to my Grt Grt Grandfather. Access to a lot of UK records here in Australia is limited &/or quite costly.
Is there any chance you could send or post a jpeg or print screen of the record / document please, for my personal family history website.
Many Thanks
Mixo
and more at

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 December 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
They are on FindMyPast but if you pm me with your email address I'll send them to you.
(Sorry if you have  already given me  your address but I don't keep them.)

Ciderdrinker