Author Topic: Thomas Henry Cunningham - Born Manchester UK c1837, died 1915 Bairnsdale Vic Aus  (Read 1422 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Cunningham - Born Manchester UK c1837, died 1915 Bairnsdale Vic Aus
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 December 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »

You are giving a reference year of 1851 for his possible arrival in Australia. Why is 1851 used?

Can you please scan the 1866 marriage certificate. It would be useful to see all the details.

There seems to be an eight year gap between birth of son Thomas CUNNINGHAM, as suggested by BDM VIC death entry, 1946, and birth of son Andrew -

1872 / 197 CUNNINGHAM Andrew Arthur parents Thomas Henry / Margaret (Murphy)   @ LUCK

Do you have this birth certificate to account for earlier births to this couple?. This birth certificate would ask for father's age and birthplace, a better source than death certificate.

Are you using work done by an earlier researcher?

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Cunningham - Born Manchester UK c1837, died 1915 Bairnsdale Vic Aus
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 December 17 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

Thanks for your interesting post.

My query regarding THCs Naval service was based from local Aussie family folklore, that he was probably a young boy when he joined. My estimation re "Any info regarding THC serving in the British Navy between around 1851 and 1864 would also be appreciated" was pretty close, as Cidermaker thankfully found out THC got his Merchant Navy certificate in Oct 1850 and had a voyage in 1853 too.

Although must admit I am ignorant of the minimum age required to sign up to the Merchant Navy back in 1850, my hunch is our THC may have fibbed a few years about his age, quoted as DOB 12 Aug 1835 at Manchester - most other records point to his birth year as 1837. I know he must have spent some time around Cathcart and Bombala in the early 1860s before he had a son THC junior with Margaret Murphy from Kiandra in May 1864. Back in those days, there was no local church or minister to conduct marriages, so it was quite common for a couple to start a family there, before a minister or priest was passing through, and able to perform any marriages.

By the way, these Cunninghams had a daughter Catherine in Jul 1869 at Jones Corner, just west of Bombala NSW. As a matter of fact, whilst in the extreme climate of this region of southern NSW, THC had a serious bronchial complaint and his doctor recommended to move closer the the coast. So in 1870, Thomas and Margaret packed all their belongings onto 2 pack horses, and with their 2 children followed the bullocky trails south over the Snowy mountains, and ended up selecting 2 properties on the Tambo River in Victoria. It must have been quite an ordeal of a trip, as 1870 was recorded as a flood year for the Snowy River.

By the time a hut was built on the first property, it was decided the selected land was too small, so they ended up building the "Sunny Hills" homestead atop Schmalens Bluff, just north of Swan Reach. Cate as she was known, ended up in charge of the creamery at Sunny Hills - I actually have a copy of the cheese starter recipe she used, beautifully done in her own handwriting.

Yes you are correct - their third out of 10 children was Andrew Arthur who was actually born at Tambo Upper, however Lucknow is a small town near Bairnsdale, where all regional births were registered at that time. My grandpa Jack Richardson was born at Swan Reach in 1887, but he is registered as born at Lucknow too.  Andy was 8 years old when he started at the Tambo Upper school - THC lobbyied the State Education minister to approve this school, and also arranged transport of the original school building to be carted from Bairnsdale. Andy worked for the local forestry department, and I also have a copy of his cash book he ran on his farm, where he bred prize pigs and grew corn and maize.

As a matter of interest, I am on a disabily support pension, and purchasing BD&M certificates for all of my 7,700 relatives in my Ancestry.com site is sadly not viable. However, I have attached the marriage record of THC and Margaret Murphy, I was kindly personally given by the Bombala historical group many years ago.

If I may add, I am not sure what you mean exactly by
"Are you using work done by an earlier researcher?"
I would be delighted to get in touch with any "earlier researcher" who has additional info on my Grt Grt Grandparents family !

Many Thanks
Mixo
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 December 17 05:43 GMT (UK) »
This is the entry from the book -

CUNNINGHAM, Thomas, Bruthen - Tambo, is a native of Manchester, England, who came to Melbourne in 1858 and followed various avocations over a number of years.  Finally in 1870 he went to Gippsland and selected on the Tambo River........

Because you are researching the origins of Thomas Henry CUNNINGHAM, and you have given this source, but not included this arrival date in Melbourne, I am thinking that you are using sources that you have not personally accessed............ possibly earlier research?.

You do not need to see BDM certificates for all events of the people you are researching. Having found information from other sources, you need to target the certificate which  is likely to confirm or refute information gained from these other sources.

The information you have found so far is valuable to your research, but you have  probably accounted for what is available to you by this means. 

A marriage certificate, NSW 1866, will ask for age, birthplace, parents' names, father's occupation, for the bride and groom. This is information provided by the people whose names appear on the document. It is self-reporting.

The document that you have attached is not a marriage certificate. You need to see the certificate.