Author Topic: Jane COX nee MILLER 1856-????  (Read 2032 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
Re: Jane COX nee MILLER 1856-????
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun - great searching
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 at 87 Westbourne Street, St Georges Hanover Sq
Richard COX  head  40 born Stapleford CAM
Jane COX wife 34 born Stoke BKM
Alice COX dau 6 born Pimlico LDN

Looking at the census document, there are other occupants of the building. However, specifically noted as part of the Cox household (ie. "Boarder" rather than just "Lodger") is Jane BRIDGE, single, 29 years old, servant/housemaid, from Newbury BKM.

Richard, Jane & Alice Cox and Jane Bridge are living together in two rooms, unlike other lodgers in the building who are shown as occupying single rooms. Jane Bridge is a boarder, rather than servant to Richard & Jane. She is therefore a peer, possibly friend.

The two Janes are both born in Bucks. Jane Bridge would have been in her early 20s when Alice Cox was born. There isn't any evidence of Richard & Jane Cox having any other children, either before or after Alice. Jane Bridge is not living with them in 1901.

There is an Alice Bridge born in the St Pancras registration area in Q4 1886 (Vol 01B, page 118), mmn unspecified. I can't find an obvious candidate for her anywhere in Middlesex in the 1891 census, nor a particularly relevant death.

Am I chasing shadows, or is there a case to be made for Alice Cox actually being Alice Bridge?
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Rattus - thanks for picking up on Jane Bridge. I should have listed her originally, and then thought my post this morning was long enough already!

The Alice Bridge you mention was born illegitimately in St Pancras Workhouse on 11 Dec 1886, and baptised on 22 Dec. However, the mother was Emily Bridge.

I'm having no luck in finding them in subsequent censuses.

Now, of course, Newbury is not in Bucks, but rather in Berkshire.

Jane Miller's only brother, George (born Stoke Poges 1854) moved to Newbury in the mid 1880s - now am I chasing shadows? I don't recognise Bridge as a "Newbury name" and I've not found Jane Bridge apart from 1891.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
The Alice Bridge you mention was born illegitimately in St Pancras Workhouse on 11 Dec 1886, and baptised on 22 Dec. However, the mother was Emily Bridge.

Ah, good work. I knew this needed more time, but didn't want to proceed further without feedback.

Jane Miller's only brother, George (born Stoke Poges 1854) moved to Newbury in the mid 1880s - now am I chasing shadows?

I reckon this shadow is worth the chase. Might come to nothing, but there's quite a credible narrative that could be constructed to explain the lack of documentation for Alice. Jane Bridge is clearly different, somehow, to the other 'lodger' occupants.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Now, of course, Newbury is not in Bucks, but rather in Berkshire.

Further evidence that my understanding of western Home Counties geography is as sketchy as ever. I do actually know that Newbury is in Berks, but assumed it must be somewhere near a border with Bucks and had swapped over at some point. Now I've looked at a map...  ;D

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 December 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I've been following up the four Alice birth registrations in St Georges Hanover Square, including looking at their siblings to help with searches.

Richard Cox was born in Stapleford CAM and his father was William Cox, an ag lab. So we are looking for possible brothers who fit the bill. In addition, we shouldn't find any of these Alices in 1891, except at 87 Westbourne Street.

Alice mmn Field  Q1 1884
Baptised March 1884 at St John, Westminster.
Parents William Cox & Alice Field married Dec 1882 at St John, Westminster
Age at marriage gives William’s birth as c1849 and he said his father was William, a cabman. In fact he might have been the illegitimate son of Amelia Cox baptised Dec 1850 at StGHSq.
In 1891 Alice is with her step grandfather, Samuel Marks at 1 William Street, Lambeth [RG12/395/31/12]

Alice May mmn Plater Q2 1884
This was the trickiest one to work on, but the Cox-Plater combination is rare..
Henry Cox married Jane Plater Q1 1882 Aylesbury BKM. They moved around quite a bit, and I haven’t been able to pin down Henry himself.
However, in 1891 Alice is with her mother and siblings in Aylesbury Workhouse [RG12/1146/135/4]

Alice Elizabeth mmn Haynes Q3 1884
Baptised Oct 1884 at Holy Trinity, Westminster.
Parents Edmund Frederick Cox and Elizabeth Haynes.married Q3 StGHSq.
I think Edmund was born 1855 in Westminster and his father was Henry.
In 1891 Alice was with her widowed father at 3 Broughton Street, Battersea [RG12/424/101/26

Alice Edith mmn Goddard Q3 1886
No baptism found, but Henry Cox married Eliza Goddard May 1878 at St Martin, Kentish Town. The marriage shows he was born c1856 and his father was William Cox, labourer.
However, 1891 shows he was born in Harwell BRK. The whole family, including Alice, are at 10 Sutherland Street StGHSq [RG12/75/101/4]

So, none of the fathers appear to be brothers of Richard Cox and, crucially, all the Alices are accounted for in 1891 and they are not at 87 Westbourne Street.

Next step – Jane Bridge?
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 December 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've had a go at finding Jane Bridge born in Berks or Bucks and all I come up with is the 1891 entry at Pimlico !

I had another look at the St Pancras workhouse connection, including some good old fashioned browsing through the creed registers.

Emily Bridge had three daughters born here:
Alice born 11 Dec 1886 bapt 22 Dec 1886   mother admitted from 3 George St
Laura born 13 Dec 1887 bapt 30 Dec 1887  from 3 George St
Emily born 25 June 1889 bapt 12 July 1889  from 10 Thornhill Bridge Place [Islington?]

Needless to say - no sign of any of them in 1891 or after ! and no clues at the two addresses either.

It looks like this one has to go back into the unsolved cases file.
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Well, I had another try…

I got the death certificate for the Richard Cox (Q3 1909, Epsom) who ShaunJ found in Long Grove Asylum.

This gave Richard's occupation as “Labourer of 23 Chancellors Road, Fulham”. He was not registered as an elector there, and there was no sign of any Cox there in 1911, although it looks like various rooms were let out.

I did another old-fashioned browse of the creed register for Fulham Palace Road Workhouse and found Richard Cox admitted on 22 June 1909 and discharged to Long Grove on 2 July 1909. [image 72 of the 1905-1909 book]. Crucially it gave his date of birth as 24 May 1850.

Richard's parents were William Cox and Eliza Head https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQ6J-YF2

There is no birth registration for a Richard Cox, but there is for a male Cocks mmn Head (Q2 1850, Chesterton).

The birth certificate arrived today and gives the unnamed boy’s date of birth as 24 May 1850.

One of Richard’s causes of death was “general paralysis of the insane about 1 year”,  or syphilis. Could this explain why he had no children?

A huge thank you to ShaunJ for his pointing me in the right direction – I will always remember the “Epsom Cluster” as a possible hiding place for the more elusive folk !

It just shows the answer is out there, just waiting to be discovered.
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 December 17 12:09 GMT (UK) »
And Jane remarried the splendidly-named, and 20 years younger, Owen Owens Q1 1913 at Fulham. The marriage certificate arrived today and confirms she was a widow and her father was Joseph Miller, deceased general labourer. Both parties gave their address as 23 Delorme Street.

They lived in Acton 1918-1930 according to electoral registers, and both died in 1931 (Q2 and Q4) in Brentford reg district.

I've not been able to find Owen Owens in any census, but I'm sure Jane is the widow at Overstone Road, Hammersmith in 1911.

Alice remains the mystery - I would err towards her being Alice Bridge, "adopted" by the Coxes. If anyone does come across her, please let me know.

Many thanks to all who contributed.
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop