Author Topic: SP: RCE not attached to illegitimate births.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SP: RCE not attached to illegitimate births.
« on: Tuesday 05 December 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Over the last 2 months, I have purchased 3 separate birth certs for illegitimate children.
All birth certs were stamped to show a paternity case, yet none had an RCE attached.

In all 3 cases, I contacted SP who located the RCE and emailed them to me.

I am not certain that SP is  actually attaching these RCE to the births records once they have been located.
None in my purchases show that any RCE has been attached
However, on a current search for the same births, none show the alternative ( father's) name.

Unless I repurchase them, I cannot tell if they have been updated to include the RCE .

EDIT
Example:
NEILSON
MARY
F
622/2 337
Shettleston

No other name is showing on index 622/2 337 yet SP emailed me with the RCE on 5 Nov.
The mother married the biological father 4yrs later.!

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SP: RCE not attached to illegitimate births.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
If you have already purchased the Register Entry, then you do not need to pay for it again. It should show as paid in the blue box on the right hand side of the list.

What was the RCE? Unless it was a Declarator of Paternity Decree, a Re-registration of Birth or an actual clerical error by the Registrar (and these are usually annotated at the left hand side of the Register entry), there will be no amendment of the Register Entry.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Im not sure that you understand what I am trying to relay.
All 3 birth certs were stamped to show that there was a proven paternity.
None actually had an RCE attached .
SP located each one and emailed it to me.
However, as far as I can tell, they still haven't attached any of them to the original birth certs.
My concern is for others who may not know the relevance of the paternity stamp and as the RCE has not been attached, the purchaser would not be aware that it should be included.

For other illegitimate birth records that I hold where paternity has been proven, the birth index appears twice.
One with mother's maiden name and second with father's surname.
Both entries appear under the same index number.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I think SP tell you, when you inform them of an error, that "for technical reasons it may be some time before any changes made to the database here at New Register House are reflected on the website itself" :( so it may be some time before the RCE button is there on the entry.

When I have had a Declarator of Parentage granted for one of my family members, it has never shown as registered twice :( The original entry is there with the Registrar's stamp stating that there is a Declarator granted, and then there is a button/phrase at the top to click for the "RCE" which includes the Interlocutor of the Court stating the terms of the Decree.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire