Author Topic: Charles Enderby expedition to auckland Islands 1849 -1852  (Read 6160 times)

Offline janice17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Enderby expedition to auckland Islands 1849 -1852
« on: Wednesday 06 December 17 05:38 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the route which this expedition would have taken from Plymouth London to the Auckland Islands in August 1849. They stopped in Hobart Town (Tasmania) for supplies and sailed on from there. I am guessing they came down the African coast and then headed east?
My husband's ancestors were some of the original settlers for this expedition (Stove) and they sailed on the Fancy, one of the 3 ships including the Samuel Enderby and the Brisk. I am also having trouble locating any of the ship's logs for these 3 vessels.
 :

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Enderby expedition to auckland Islands 1849 -1852
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.
I think your assumption regarding the route would be correct.
Do you know for certain which port/ports these vessels were registered in?
The only certainty I can find is SAMUEL ENDERBY 422 tons, Captain Henderson, built Cowes in 1834, owned by Enderby and co. Port of registry, London UK. documented in Lloyd's Register 1851/52 as having sailed to the South Sea's. If they have survived he logbooks and crew agreements for 1852, assuming that is when she returned to a UK port, should be at the British National Archive in the series BT98
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4067412
The vessel BRISK (There are several ships with this name) which Lloyd's Register 1851/2 says undertook a voyage to the South Sea's was also registered in London
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4067387
An educated guess leads me to believe the vessel FANCY (again several ships with this name) was also registered in London.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4067397
You would need to visit Kew to look at these documents or appoint a researcher to look for you. You may need to look at other years both before and after 1852. It depends on when the vessel returned to a UK port.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline janice17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information. One record I have is that the Fancy was built in Sunderland, 1846. It    stayed on to work in our southern New South Wales waters around Twofold Bay and then went north to Brisbane, Queensland. It was sold to T.M.Weguelin, Merchant? then to George Dawson on 27th July 1853. It was reregistered 25th October 1853 - it had arrived London 1853?
 I also have doubts that any log books are available as it would seem they weren't required to be registered until after 1852, a few years after Enderby Expedition commenced. 
I will have to try another source to find out the geography of the route to Australia?
Can anyone enlighten me on James Smith Stove and his wife Janet Jessie Stove - from the Shetland Islands who were the original settlers with Enderby on the Auckland Islands. James was a whaler/fisherman when they lived in Lerwick(Shetland) in the 1840's - and may have been employed by Enderby's company on other ships prior to leaving for the Auckland Islands?
Where would I look for any record of him as an employee back then?

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
You wrote One record I have is that the Fancy was built in Sunderland, 1846.

Thats the ship I have in mind. She was owned by the Southern Whale Fish Company which would tie in with your ancestors occupation of Whaler/Fisherman. I would cetainly look at her logbooks and crew agreements for 1852 and 1853.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4067817
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline janice17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - yes that all sounds correct. Is there any point checking log books and crew agreements for 1852 and 1853 if James Stove and his family left the Fancy and settled in Sydney in November 1852?
Given that I live in Australia unless I engage a researcher in the UK I don't seem to be able to access UK records unless I pay first? Then I'm not sure they'll have what I need.
I have also written to the library in Lerwick Shetland Islands. Where would I look for records of James as being employed as a whaler/fisherman in the UK/Atlantic region?

Offline janice17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
What I'm really trying to find out is any record of the ship's actual journey from Plymouth in August 1849 to Auckland Islands via Hobart Town (Tasmania). That would mean ship's logs? Would there be any personal record of this part of the journey by Charles Enderby himself?

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 December 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Theoretically the ships logbook should cover the voyage from when the vessel left the UK, until such time that she returned to a UK port. Even when the voyage lasted, as in this case, a number of years.
In my experience a lot depended on who was writting the log. Some logbooks give chapter and verse, others the basics. The only way to find out is to read the document.
If visiting Kew is problematic I will take a look for you if you so wish. However it will be early next February before I visit the National Archive again. Let me know if you wish to proceed.

I should imagine you have read this thesis on The Southern Whale Fishery Company.

https://www.repository.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/262798

In what year was James Stove born?

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline janice17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 December 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for offering to check records at Kew next year. Please let me know some idea of costs   before you proceed - I don't expect you to do this for nothing.
I believe James Smith Stove was born in 1809 in Lerwick Shetland Is. and married Janet Nicolson in Lerwick Shetland Is. in 1841. He is listed in this link as a whaler/goldminer and could also have been working on whaling ships in the UK area and possibly on one of Enderby's other ships before joining the Auckland Islands expedition.

http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I223623&tree=ID1

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 17 22:45 GMT (UK) »
No problem,
Just send me a PM in February to jog my memory. Have yourself a great Christmas and New Year!

RIP Roger 10 August 2022