Author Topic: Where does his surname come from?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where does his surname come from?
« on: Wednesday 06 December 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Craven, born 1837 in Fifeshire, had an illegitimate son, George, on 18 Dec, 1857, Lily Bank, Dundee.  The child was registered as George Craven, as evidenced by "Scotland, Select Births & Baptisms" on our favourite site, and by a birth registration; no father was named.   In 1861, Elizabeth and George were living in Banchory-Ternan with her brother, Thomas.  She married Duncan William Davidson Moir on 26 Dec, 1863 in Banchory-Ternan.  In 1871, they are living in St Andrew Fife, where she now has 3 children by her husband.  On this census, George has the surname "Tuch" (registered on Anc. as "Tych" but the original is pretty clear).  On all successive censuses, George reverts to the surname of Craven.  Try as I may, I cannot understand the reason his surname changes...even allowing for bad hearing/writing, neither Craven nor Moir could turn into Tuch.  I cannot find any Tuchs in the area either.

Any ideas on why this would happen?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where does his surname come from?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Did George marry and die as Craven?  Did he name any father on his marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »
It could be the father's surname. The name "Tough" is pronounced "tooch", with the ch as in "loch".

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Carole W:  The marriage reg. is really weird.  He has father "George Craven (dec.) Gamekeeper" and mother "Elizabeth Craven, M.S. Moir".  In fact, George (gamekeeper) was his grandfather (and my 3xGGF) and, at the time of the marriage, was still alive; and his mother's M.S. (i.e., in keeping with all other reg's., her MAIDEN surname) was Craven and she was married to Duncan Moir at the time of George's marriage. I wonder why he lied so brazenly on the certificate?  It wouldn't be to protect the Craven family as, by this time, Elizabeth's sister Euphemia had had 2 illegitimate children and they were all living happily with George Sr. and his wife, Euphemia Imray. 

GR2:  I'd never heard that surname...I shall start again looking for "Tough"!  Thank you for that.

MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Could be spelled Tuach!

Skoosh.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 December 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
There are 4 families of Tough in B-T in 1861, but only one with a son of comparable age to Elizabeth. The others are older and married - not that that necessarily precludes them!  There are no families of Tuach in the area.  I guess I'm just going to have to leave this one...I have the family history so it was really an enquiry for interest's sake.  However, thanks to the 3 of you for looking/commenting!

Stay warm :) 
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
In fact, George (gamekeeper) was his grandfather (and my 3xGGF) and, at the time of the marriage, was still alive
It is not uncommon for illegitimate children to name their maternal grandfather as their father on a marriage certificate!!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 17 17:26 GMT (UK) »
It is quite likely that the kirk session minutes for the parish of birth contains the father's name.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 December 17 20:03 GMT (UK) »
In fact, George (gamekeeper) was his grandfather (and my 3xGGF) and, at the time of the marriage, was still alive
It is not uncommon for illegitimate children to name their maternal grandfather as their father on a marriage certificate!!

I agree, I have an example of this in my own tree. Resulted in a bit of confusion for a time.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie