Author Topic: Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com  (Read 207 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com
« on: Wednesday 06 December 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I saved a RootsChatter's instructions about how to upload raw data to gedmatch.com.  They were very good instructions but my computer illiterate mind apparently can't complete the process.  I followed the instructions including:
downloaded the raw data from Ancestry.
I created an account with gedmatch.com.  I have not/will not open the zip file.

I am stuck on:
"...follow your dna company instructions how to upload...you will get a number..keep it safe!"

This is where the tech-y part of me falls apart.   ;)  What do I do now, please?  I don't see instructions about how to upload (they're probably right in front of my face).  :-\  Any guidance very much appreciated.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 01:59 GMT (UK) »
It's been a while since I've done it, but this page gives a  pretty detailed explanation - http://www.dnaadoption.com/uploads/DNAadoption/DNAadoption_files/UsingGedmatch.pdf

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I will check it out now.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

Are you uploading to the  newer "Genesis Beta" site on Gedmatch ?

Instructions bottom right of Home Page

Kim

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim:

Thank you for asking; I am not sure what I was doing.

I tried following the directions and seemed to somehow get stuck in a continuous loop.  I gave up after a few minutes as while I would dearly love to check out any possible results on gedmatch, it wasn't worth the time and frustration; at the moment I unfortunately have other issues that are of greater concern.

Possible matches on Ancestry have been exciting to try to uncover, but since I only have one ancestor who was born in America (and settled in Canada a few years after his birth), I thought I might possibly find more matches on gedmatch (but, perhaps I am incorrect with that theory).

Thank you shellyesq and Kim for your attempt at helping.  Perhaps I may try again in the future (or try on a different device - perhaps it is my chrome box [computer] that is impeding my progress).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to upload results to gedmatch.com - Completed
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 December 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
With the help of another kind RootsChatter, she was able to figure out where I was went wrong (I didn't need to go into the instructions section, I only had to fill out information under the instructions).  Thank you all for your guidance.   :)