Author Topic: William Minear landlord of " Ring of Bells" St Austell  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Minear landlord of " Ring of Bells" St Austell
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 06:03 GMT (UK) »
The Royal Cornwall Gazette reports the death of William Minear 11 July 1845 at St Austell aged 87.
Variations of the spelling also Menear and Minner.
His widow may have been Jane but unsure.
I think there was also a Tavern "Ringing Bells".
The 1841 Census has a 79 years old William Minner at the" Ringing Bells".Might be Confused with "Ring of Bells"and not the same person.

Help please with birth/baptism C1758 of William Minear.
 :D
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Minear landlord of " Ring of Bells" St Austell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Cornwall O P C site has following baptism :-  12 Sept 1756 William  Mynheer at Roche. Base child of Mary. Looks like the closest.

Marriage:-  23 April 1788  Luxulyan.  William Mennear, bachelor, of  St Breock, and Jane Pearce,  sojourner. Could be something or nothing. No record of any children.

Luxulyan is just north of St Austell.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you brentor boy.
I have just looked at the images of the baptism and marriage.
Locations close and further spelling variations Mynheer and Meneer. Could easily have become Minear.

Much appreciated.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I have noticed that William Minear , victualler of St Austell was a prisoner in Bodmin Gaol.
Would anyone have details please?

SnipImage-{E7D374CC-62E9-42C3-9CD4-96F4C995A0FA}

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lazarus,

There is a William Manheire, baptised 1754 St Austell, s/ Oliver & Mary.

William Mannear, bachelor, otp, married Elizabeth Robins, spinster, otp, St Austell 21 Feb 1790.
Olive Mannear, d/o William & Elizabeth bapt. 1791 St Austell (Marries William Parnell in 1810)
Elizabeth Mannear, d/o William & Elizabeth, bapt. 1795 St Austell (Marries James Brook, excise officer 1833)
William Mannear, s/o William & Elizabeth, bapt. 1801 St Austell  (Marries Jane Guy 1823?) died 1832.

Elizabeth Mannear (Robins) (b. 1764): OPC Notes death in 1828, age 64, burnt to death.
The Western Times, 13 December 1828
"Last week, as Mrs Minear, who some time since kept the Ring of Bells public house, at St Austell, was alone in her room, to which she had been confined by illness, a shawl she wore caught fire in some way unexplained; her cries speedily bought assistance and the flames were quickly extinguished, but the poor woman was so severely burned that she survived the accident but two days."

Elizabeth Mannear (b.1795)
Royal Cornwall Gazette, 12 July 1832
"At St Austell, on Sunday last, by the Rev. Mr Wood, Mr Brook, Excise Officer, to Miss Minear, daughter of Mr Wm Minear, of the Ring... Bells"

William Minear (Mannear) born 1801 died 1832.
Royal Cornwall Gazette, 24 Mar 1832
"At St Austell, on Saturday last, Mr Wm. Minear, Jun, of the Ring of Bells Inn, aged 31."

A possible marriage of William Minear Jun to Jane Guy in 1823.

Looking at the prison registers, there is a William Minear, miner,(age 43) charged with the carnal knowledge of Milicent Augusta Minnear (under 12 years of age), sentenced to five years jail  in 1874).

Jo  :)

Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jo.
Firstly responding to your last paragraph.
I am in the midst of reconstructing several generations of the Minear family from St Austell.
I have established that the Minear/Mannear/Manheire family had involvement with the "Ring of Bells" St Austell.
There are numerous versions of the surname but most recent look to be Minear.
Clearly there was more than one William M. to be accounted for.

You may well be correct with William M. bpt 1754 s/o Oliver and Mary.
I had also found William M. s/o Stephen and Margery so that is still to be resolved.

As you have noticed, I think it must have been his wife Elizabeth ( formerly of "Ring of Bells" who died from burns 1826.

William and Elizabeth had a son also William 1801-1832 who I can link to "Ring of Bells".He was married to Jane Guy.One of their children Edward appears to have died Bodmin Asylum 1863.

My most recent posting seeks information about a William Minear , a victualler , listed as a prisoner Bodmin Gaol.

The 1874 gaoling of a William Minear for carnal knowledge , if related , would have to be a later generation again.I need to identify him.

With thanks.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 04:28 GMT (UK) »

You may well be correct with William M. bpt 1754 s/o Oliver and Mary.
I had also found William M. s/o Stephen and Margery so that is still to be resolved.

I would think that as William & Elizabeth name their first child Olive that the baptism to Oliver &
 Mary is more likely, although unconfirmed.

As you have noticed, I think it must have been his wife Elizabeth ( formerly of "Ring of Bells" who died from burns 1826.

The Cornwall OPC has noted on the burial for Elizabeth Minear, age 64, burnt to death, with the date matching the news article of Mrs Minear of the Ring the Bells, fairly safe to say they are one and the same.

William and Elizabeth had a son also William 1801-1832 who I can link to "Ring of Bells".He was married to Jane Guy.One of their children Edward appears to have died Bodmin Asylum 1863.

This is the William Jun. Bapt 1801 whose death was reported in the Royal Cornwall Gazette.

I have not yet followed the other two daughters of William (Sen.) & Elizabeth to see if there is any further information.

Olive Mannear, d/o William & Elizabeth bapt. 1791 St Austell (Marries William Parnell in 1810)
Elizabeth Mannear, d/o William & Elizabeth, bapt. 1795 St Austell (Marries James Brook, excise officer 1833)

I will have another look for the William in Bodmin Gaol  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jo.
I think I have reconciled the Minears with the newspaper reports.
I note your point about Oliver and Mary being the parents considering they named their first child Olive.

So far I have not discovered anything about the conviction of William Minear 1874.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Does this relate to your William?
"At St Austell, on Sunday last, by the Rev Mr Wood, Mr Brook, excise officer, to Miss Minear, daughter of Wm Minear of the Ringing Bells."
Royal Cornwall Gazette, Saturday, July 12, 1823, Issue 1046.

Modified to add: Sorry, I should have read jomcd967's reply more closely  :-[