Author Topic: 1 Commercial Road Leven/Scoonie  (Read 1140 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1 Commercial Road Leven/Scoonie
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My ancestor Margaret Carrol nee Scott died at 1 Commercial Road Leven/Scoonie on the 7th of March 1860. In the 1861 census her widower John Carrol and their 5 children were at the same address and John was working as a shoemaker.
In 1865 John remarried in Forfar, he and his wife gave their address as High Street Lochee and in 1871 they were living in Dundee.

This is all OK but my mystery is that in 1881 and probably earlier Margaret's sister Helen Scott was living in 1 Commercial Road following the death of their mother. I am assuming that the house must have stayed in the family for Helen to be able to move there following the death of her mother in 1874 when she had to find a new home. I have tried everything I know to work out who was living in the house between 1860 and 1898  when she died at this address with no sucess.
Does anyone have any idea how I can find out about this house for this period of time please.
Thanks
Alison

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Commercial Road Leven/Scoonie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison just noticed your post.

Have you tried the valuation rolls on Sotlands People? I had a quick look and from the index there is a Mrs Euphemia Scott there in 1865 and various other Scotts at that address until 1895.

Might be worth having a look.

Happy New Year

Dorrie

P.S. I just put in the year, surname of Scott, County of Fife, Parish of Scoonie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Commercial Road Leven/Scoonie