Author Topic: Help with WW1 photo  (Read 819 times)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with WW1 photo
« on: Thursday 07 December 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of my great grandfather. He served in the Royal West Kent Regiment where he joined as a Private in 1898.he was promoted to Sergeant in 1902. I was just wondered whether anybody could help me out with any other information in this photograph, such as what the differences is in the uniforms that you can see here. what is it that they are all sitting on? Is there any clues as to the rank of my grandfather from his uniform (front row, far right).

thanks

Shaun

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WW1 photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
The men wearing the metal helmets are firefighters and they are sitting on an horse drawn fire appliance. The fire appliance has a pump worked by a steam engine.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
The man standing above the caption "Don Camp" has sergeant stripes and has the cap badge of the
Royal West Kent Regiment. The other soldiers seem to be in a different unit.

Is the lettering for Don Camp complete on your image?
Are there some extra characters before Don?
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
The other three soldiers are in the Army Service Corps. One of the roles of the Corps was the Army Fire Service.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon,

There are 5 men in army uniform, the officer centre front and sergeant front left are in blue dress uniform. The other 3 men are wearing the 1902 battle dress uniform. Although the man on the drivers seat and the man front right appear to be wearing firefighters boots.

The man front right, your grandfather? is not wearing any rank badges so is a private. The sergeant has no medal ribbons so either didn't serve in South Africa or is not West Kents who had 2 battalions, both went to SA.

The men in battle dress could be ASC. Are you 100% sure that is your grandfather as he also has no medal ribbons and no rank. 4 years is very quick for promotion to sergeant, there being 2 other ranks to come first. Not impossible given that the regt was in a war where due to casualties promotion could be quicker.

The other possibility is that he was in the 3rd battalion which was a militia battalion so home service only unless embodied for war service. Some militia were some not.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses guys. It has helped me narrow a few extra things down.

I have re looked at his service history docs that I have.

He was in SA in 1901and was promoted to Sergeant in 1902. Although I have just seen that in 1905 he was awaiting trial for Absence and drunkedness, and was reduced back to rank of corporal. Then in 1907 it is listed he was 'Reverted to private at his own request'. This will explain the lack of of rank and medal ribbons on his uniform.

I didnt even notice the writing in the bottom corner. He was at Bordon Camp between 1909 - 1910. Which must be where and when this photo was taken.

It says on his documents " Re-engaged for the R.W.Kent Regt. At Bordon on 05/10/09 for such term as shall complete 21 years with the colours"

Although I am unsure what that means.

I wonder why he would request himself to be reverted back to the rank of private. bit of a mystery.

Thanks for both of your responses

Shaun

ADDED

just found this on an entry about Bordon Camp too, which will explain the ASC guys and the firefighters.

"There was a fire station on site from 1906, staffed in rotation by trained members of each unit stationed on garrison, under the control of the Army Service Corps. Equipped with a single horse drawn pump, the station had three stables. From 1920 the station was equipped with motorised Thornycroft fire engine, while the building also housed a section of the Royal Military Police."